• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing my HD Engineering V2 Shackle Relocation Brackets

jakeWI

NAXJA Forum User
I used to have HD's V1 that I never got around to installing because of time with my current job. So then I sold them when I needed some extra cash. Then HD came out with their V2's so I figured I would give them a whirl.

Ordering through Brian at HD was awesome. Top notch service and a super cool guy. Brackets came two days later via Post Office. Keep in mind though I live two states over in the Midwest so shipping time may vary.

Here the brackets are when I first got them. Let me tell you, there are pure 100% AMERICAN BEEF! Imitators of their original design have nothing on these (IMHO). To make them even better for anyone to be able to install them they are now bolt on!!!!!

IMG_4969.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

First things first after opening the box is I threw some paint on them. They were fresh out of PINK so I just settled with whatever I had laying in the garage:

IMG_4971.jpg

IMG_4974.jpg

After painting them it was late so the project had to wait until after work the next day. Once I got home I got all situated with tools and such.

The next step in the process is to take out your shackle bolts that go through the top side into the frame of the jeep.

IMG_4975.jpg

IMG_4976.jpg

Then was a part I wasn't even thinking about. And from the pictures just above you can see why it was a pain. If you have a hitch, now is the time to take out the hitch bolts in the frame right there. I have never taken the hitch bolts out before so this step was a PITA. You can see all the damn rust I have sitting there. This ended up being the longest part of the install for me because of it. But still finished in good time.

Next step is to add the crush sleeve to the frame mounting plate and re-install the bracket into where the shackle came out of.

IMG_4980.jpg

After you get that up in there, add the new shackle mounting bracket to the two welded on bolts on the frame bracket.

IMG_4981.jpg

After I did this, I then went and re-installed my shackles with the supplied nuts/bolts to the shackle bracket. With my 6.5" Rough Country lift the shackle angle sucked!!! It was vertical so the jeep rode like a dump truck in the back. So when I set my shackle angle I set it so I was obtain about a 45 degree angle allowing some movement and a better ride. Remembering that this angle will change a little bit from what you have it set at when the jeep is in the air to where it will sit once its back on the ground under its own weight.

So it went from a vertical shackle to this, which I can't remember if I took the picture before I set it back down or not. But you can see its not vertical anymore.

IMG_4982.jpg

Now everything should be bolted back up and ready to rock n roll. My opinions on it are as follows:

-Brian is great to work with at HD Engineering and great shipping as well
-The product is PURE BEEF and well thought out
-Can now be more easily installed by those who have no means of welding now that it is bolt on
-The install does not take a lot of time depending on your own jeep with how easy the shackle bolts come out of the frame and your hitch bolts if you have one. Other then those options the install is rather quick and can be accomplished with basic garage tools.

I am super happy with it all. I do not have flex pics yet since I got done late and had nothing to try it on. I will get some though.

This is my jeep before install:

IMG_4973.jpg

This is after, I gained about an inch of lift in the rear. This will vary depending on where you set your angle at:

IMG_4984.jpg

Any questions feel free to ask. PM will get a faster response haha. Thanks again HD for creating a great product!!!!

In case you haven't considered it already...
It appears you have 2 mounting holes in your shackles. If you switch to the other hole it will lower the rear some and help level it back out. If you do this you should recheck the shackle angle.

Great write up.

Lookin good Jake!

In case you haven't considered it already...
It appears you have 2 mounting holes in your shackles. If you switch to the other hole it will lower the rear some and help level it back out. If you do this you should recheck the shackle angle.

Great write up.

I prefer a little more lift in the rear of mine, Just personal preference for when I pull a trailer, keeping it from squatting.

I will do that, May make a trip to the bass pro shop and pick up a set from Brian while i'm there. :D

Great Write up! :thumbup:

Brian, I currently have a great shackle angle and a slight rake stance (which is good for me) but my shackle loves to slap the back of 'bucket'. Do you think your brackets + a shorter shackle (I have a 1"ish lift shackle) and stock shackles will keep me at the same height and fix my problem?

I've heard of people trimming the bumper bolts in there? I'm pretty sure that's what I'm hitting, not the actual bucket.. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

My brackets with a shorter shackle should work, or you might want to keep the same length shackle and maybe go to a boomerang type shackle.......

Thanks for the quick reply, they slap around on higher-speed stuff (getting to the rocks, which is my main type of offroading) and it's really annoying and sometimes jarring. They flex very well in the rocks.

Does anybody know about the bumper bolt trimming? I think I can see the bolt that it likes to slam into.

Thanks for the quick reply, they slap around on higher-speed stuff (getting to the rocks, which is my main type of offroading) and it's really annoying and sometimes jarring. They flex very well in the rocks.

Does anybody know about the bumper bolt trimming? I think I can see the bolt that it likes to slam into.

One thing you could do is install the relocation brackets with a little short shackle and clearance the box. This is something I would suggest to anyone who has interferance problems with the shackle on the "backswing".

Back