• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 Cherokee Country - Yep I Blew it!

CampingXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well in the 17th consecutive day of 100+ heat here in DFW, I decided to hose down my a/c coil outside my radiator with a pressure nozzle to help the little fella cool a bit better - I thought I was careful enough to only hit the coils but - she cranks all day long but won't start!

After looking under the car, I saw water dripping out the bottom of my about 8 month old alternator. $#@umbass I thought to myself! Blew it out with my toro leaf blower (while still mounted to the engine) and have been letting it sit for several hours. I've cranked here and there on occasion every hour or so with no luck.

Here are few things I've done so far:

**Battery is only about 8 months old and strong as it can be. I have it on a battery charger in between starting attempts.
**I've checked inside the distributor cap - it's dry. ALso checked below the plastic plate covering the lower part of the distributor.
**I've checked the airbox and the filter is dry and it's dry inside the pipe leading into the intake.
**I've pulled plugs - clean as a whistle (they're only about 4 months old too).
**I've sprayed starter fluid inside the intake to see if it was fuel delivery - nope no ignition.
**So I've got air, presumaly have fuel, but have no spark. The back of the engine wasn't even close to being wet so I don't think it's the crank sensor in the back by the tranny.
**I coolant sensor on the thermometer - it's dry.

Running out of airspeed and ideas fellas - anything else to look at? Besides a better brain for me? Speaking of brain, I haven't checked the PCM wherever that is, or the ignition module if there is one wherever that is.

Sorry for the stupid move - I owe y'all a Modelo!

is there spark at the spark plugs?
if not it could just be coincidence and the CPS died when you last shut it down.
check for spark then report back.

Sounds good - will have to wait til dark though - nobody around to help me crank while I watch - will have to use a longhandle screwdriver in the boot and let it arc and look through the hood while I crank!

Thanks for the help!

Well it's dusk here in super hot DFW and I did a few tests that I think made sense:
1. Stuck long handled screwdriver into cylinder #1 plug boot - laid it close to a ground, looked through hood, crankity crank crank - NO SPARK.
2. Stuck long handled screwdriver into cable coming off of coil pack - laid it close to a ground, looked through hood, crankity crank crank - NO SPARK.

Guess it's time for a new coil pack or a Crank position sensor - I just can't believe it would quit like that - especially since I've had no symptoms whatsoever and I just sprayed water really near where the coil pack is. I'm going to replace both of them though - one at a time so I can determine the cause.

Any other suggestions out there while I'm at it?

Thanks again fellas - and good luck to everybody in keeping your rigs running - they're great vehicles!

Thanks Sidewinder! I did try and switch the Auto shutdown relay with another one for the fuel pump and when I did the fuel pump still buzzed like it usually does when I turn the ignition into the 'run' position (not turned to crank but just turned on) so I guessed the relay was probably okay?

Also checked the fusible link to see if it was wet (at the end of the power distrib center closest to the front - still dry).

I looked at the alternator with a flashlight a bit ago and it does look damp in there - I'm thinking I blew it! Thinking about this I might just get another one along with the other parts because it's always good to have a spare one of those :)

Thanks for the help!

Ah makes sense - had that happen once. Will get the sensor and coil pack tomorrow morning and report back!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Hi Sidewinder - I did check for water - none there. Also checked all the fuses in the PDC - they looked clean - with no burns or burn throughs so I think they're ok.

Also replaced the coil this morning - no dice!
On the the sensor next! Wouldn't the spark should still happen whether or not the sensor is bad though? Maybe not - since the computer can't tell where the flywheel is located it probably doesn't know to send a spark!

Try unplugging the CPS and clean terminals good and maybe give the sensor itself a little rap a tap.

Unless I missed someone else posting it, break out the multimeter and check the resistance on the CPS.

The method is readily available on here with a quick search. Been a while since I last tested one, but I beileve it's the middle and right terminals on the CPS that you're checking (referencing the little "tab" for the two plugs to click together being on the top.)

There are two sensors that can cause this problem; the Crankshaft Position Sensor-CPS that is attached toward the top of the bell housing on the passenger side and the Camshaft Position Sensor-C(K)PS that is inside the distributor.
The second sensor provides the PCU with a signal so it knows when to fire the plugs and pulse the fuel injectors. Do a search for the test procedure to determine which one is bad...
My money is on the one inside the distributor......

Don't use high pressure as that could damage the fins. As for the no starting issue.....what the others have said.

Wanted to say thanks guys! I replaced the crank position sensor after a quick bike ride to Napa (boy do I need to do more of that type thing) and she fired right up! Sorry for the delays in getting back to everyone thanks so much for the help! You guys are awesome!

Back