• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 HD in an XJ?

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
It looks like my 242 in my 2000 XJ is crapping out on me and I'm looking at a few options. One of those would be to replace it with a 242HD out of an 03 v8 WJ Grand Cherokee. Would this bolt up to my auto tranny? Would my speedo still work? What type of output is on the rear? Will the SYE on my current 242 be able to be transfered to the 242HD?

Does anyone know where you can find a write up on this swap?

I can tell you that the WJ platform uses wheel speed sensors, so although the retainer (rear output shaft housing/bearing) is cast for our style of speedometer sensor, it is not drilled/machined. Not sure if the output shaft is even splined for a speedo gear, but based on the research I've done, it's likely not (I have a 242 from a 2003 4.0 WJ but haven't opened it up yet).

I believe the bolt pattern on the front of the case is the same (not 100% sure since you're talking about the V8 version), but I can guarantee you that the input shaft spline count is different. You'd need a different input shaft at the very least (likely swappable from a 4.0 242, but again, not entirely sure).

I thought there were two versions, the 00-01 and 02-03, and that the 00-01 was the one that worked. I DO NOT KNOW THIS HOWEVER and have been wanting confirmation for myself. I would go dig around on mallcrawlin forums, it must have been discussed already.

I don't have a lot of facts on this swap yet (hence why I started this thread) but I have gathered some info. The 242HD only came on the v8 laredo models and was only used for the 02 and 03 years. I was also told that the 242HD will bolt up to my tranny but the rear output is not the same spline count so I will need a different SYE and driveshaft. I'm not sure about the front driveshaft yet or if the 04 WJ came with a 242HD. I also don't know if I can make my speedo work. Hopefully there is someone out there that has done this swap and can pass on all the issues I will run into and how they addressed them.

There has to be somebody out there that has done this swap or at least attempted it.

i had a lot of info saved on this swap on my old computer, a lot from jeepsunlimited.. i'll see if i can dig anything up later.

what i was gonna do was try and make a real beastly hybrid case... get a 242HD from a v8 wj, 242AMG from a hummer, and slap em together with a tera 4:1 kit (yes they can make them for the 242) and call it good. the amg 242 was beastly strong but has no 2wd mode, you can add that part from the 242hd from the wj. the 242hd is 23 spline and should bolt right in behind a ax15/aw4 whatever. clocking might be a bit different but that isnt a huge deal.

this particular quote stood out the most to me:

"There is one option that is VERY close to the holy grail that everyone is looking for. The WJ 242 is only marked the HD version in certain model years behind the 4.7, usually purported to be '02-'03. If you take the 242 from a '00-'01 WJ with a 4.7 it has the upgraded internals (bigger chain, gears, etc) but still has a 27 spline output. This case TW can put an SYE on."

Can this fact be verified by anyone, that the 00-01 WJ 242 with v8 is also an HD setup except with the 27 spline output? Will my SYE (Hack n tap style) be able to be transfered over to the 27 spline output?

the 27 spline output is the same as a 231 and XJ 242. TW's glorified HnT can go on it, as well as any other.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will start looking for a 242HD out of a 00-01 WJ v8.

It's the 3103-27CV. To use it as an SYE it has to be cut down since the stock length has around 4"+ of spline.

(GoJeep's page has all everything you'd need)

I figured it would have to be cut, but at least my current SYE hack n tap syle should be able to be used on it once it's cut. So it looks like it will bolt up, allow me to run my current SYE which means I can run my current rear DS. So my only issue I have left is the speedo. Need to figure out how I will make it work.

Back