• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POWER STEERING

93XJ2drSport

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday I was driving my 93 XJ and I noticed coming off freeway that the it was hard to steer going slow, power steering was not working.....Got home, let rig cool down, checked it out and determined the pump was not working.....This morning I got in it and it was working fine now, turned wheels back and forth a couple times, drove it around twice and let rig get up to temp, no problems......So could it have had a bubble or something or does the pump work intermittantly when it is going bad.....Really dont want to buy a new pump and hassle with it if I don't have to, thanks.

Check your belt tension.

If it isn't really loose, something is not right with your P/S parts. I don't think the bubble idea makes much sense. Clean the area/check for leaks frequently, monitor the fluid level, and don't trust it much until you figure it out...

Yea, after doing some research on here yesterday, I rechecked my belt tension and it was loose, looks like belt may have been slipping some, although I never heard any squeal or noise......I had just replaced water pump about a month ago and replaced belt then, thought maybe power steering pump got air in it then while it was getting moved around.....So far power steering seems to be working fine, big test will be a long trip......Thanks for your reply.

Back