• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no fuel to rail

edgreeson65

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have a '89 xj that has been sitting a little while and I tried to start it the other day with no luck. Just cranks & won't fire up, I checked the bleeders on the fuel rail and nothing came out. I was wondering if the car is sitting there with the ignition to the run position will the fuel pump get gas up to the rail, or is there somthing between the two that could possibly keep fuel to the rail?

do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key to start the jeep?

on the renix's, we have this fuel pump ballast resistor, it quiets down the fuel pump.... but also tends to break, try bypassing it. drivers side fuel rail, 1 orange wire going in, identical wire coming out.

I replaced the fuel pump 2 times about 2 years ago (1st one was bad):smsoap:, engine is brand new (approx. 2 hrs. on it). it started & ran good about 2 months ago, went out to start it on sunday and no start. So as long as the key is in the run position I should have fuel at the rail (as long as the resistor is good) right?

in theory yeah. eventually it'll bleed off pressure over a couple hours, but youll still have SOME gas squirt out. you put the key in the ignition, turn it 3/4 of the way, you should hear the fuel pump prime.... does it prime?
and have you bypassed the ballast resistor yet?

Back