• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition RFI

Kilroy08

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, here's a question for all of you. I've had a CB in my '92 Jeep Cherokee since 2008. No funny stuff, just a plain ol' CB. And I had no tx induced problems problems at all.

I put a new engine in in the summer of 2009. Now I am having all sorts of problems with the radio making the ignition go nuts when I try transmitting. And by nuts, I mean miss fires, popping, backfiring, and general bad juju for the motor.

So far, I have cleaned up all the chassis ground points, made sure nothing had been touching that shouldn't be, and bonded everything. The only thing that really changed was I had to splice on a new connector for the pick up coil for the distributor, and that part of the harness ended up being about 6 or so inches longer.

Where should I start troubleshooting at? Cleaning up the grounds decreased the severity of the problem, but did not eliminate them.

Back