• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive without alternator? How much Draw?

GlueNTape

NAXJA Forum User
So there is an XJ with a bad alternator, if I throw in an Optima Yellow top or Blue top, How far do you think I could get? I am not sure how much electrical draw there is for just driving during the day.

I would think I could make it for 40 minutes? yes/no?

Odd questions, but I need to move this XJ, this is quicker than calling AAA and waiting around.

I got 1.5 hours on my old XJ with a bad alternator.

yup, just avoid using turn signals, headlights, or the radio.

of course, it WILL die on you at the worst possible time, and when it does that battery will be beyond a quick-jump to get you back going, you'll need thick jumper cables, and a patient jumper to get going again.

im not gonna make any promises on the 40 minute part though... most likely you'll make it though.

it can be done... but i wouldnt think its good for your battery? why not pick up a JY unit and swap it out? should only be $30-50 bucks and half an hour of work at the most.

Location, location, location. I don't technically own it yet. Yet being the key word.

I was just curious if I could but it and make it home on battery power. :)

How much you get out of the batt will be dictated by how much amperage the alt is putting out... if any.

I'd swap in an alt..

..... just take a new alt with you. it can be swapped out in 10 minutes if your quick. (not trying to claim any records or anything, just sayin).

when the battery goes, it goes, imagine having no power steering, and decreased braking on a 2-lane highway overpass.... or on a dark road people like to speed on.... all because you didnt want to change out the alternator....

if it was YOUR rig, with YOUR battery, in an unplanned situation, i'd say yeah, go for it... but thats not the case! you KNOW its dead, so just replace it. why risk an accident on the highway for a $80 alternator your gonna have to replace anyway...

im just sayin.... everyone on the highway can be at increased risk when your engine cuts out at highway speeds... take them into consideration.

That is not something I will plan on doing. However, if I had to do it I will. Get a good batterry, hope the engine start quickly and use only the electronics that you have to use and do not stop and start the engine again. Avoid city stop and go traffic and do not drive at night. Take along a second battery. I will take a good battery and a known good alternator and change it if it is at all possible. And yes, with a good battery you should be able to drive an hour +.

You should get 40 minutes in daytime without much danger. I would still take a spare battery well charged, just in case, but I've gone pretty far with a failed alternator. Avoid lights and unnecessary signals, and make sure the fan is all the way off. On this vintage, when voltage has been low for a few minutes, the voltmeter will drop to zero and set the "check gauges" light, so don't freak out when this happens. Keep an ear tuned to the engine, and if it starts running badly or stumbling, pull over before it stalls. Remember that restarting could be a problem, which is why you would do well to take a second battery along.

You don't say what is bad about the alternator in the XJ you're bringing home, but if it just went dead, try whacking it when it's running, because if it's bad brushes, you can sometimes scare it back into temporary operation.

I have driven for a couple hours on the battery when needed - no lights, radio, or accessories, unplugged the e-fan.

Don't forget the a/c and fan blower motor take a lot of juice - don't use them.

Like ^ says, you get plenty of warning from the guage before you run out of power to safely get off the road.

Bringing an extra battery is a good idea also.

IMO.. if the battery is fully charged, It will do it without question.. Keep your Cell and AAA close Just in case, but i think you'll be totally fine. I wouldnt hesitate!

I have driven for a couple hours on the battery when needed - no lights, radio, or accessories, unplugged the e-fan.

Don't forget the a/c and fan blower motor take a lot of juice - don't use them.

Like ^ says, you get plenty of warning from the guage before you run out of power to safely get off the road.

Bringing an extra battery is a good idea also.
Actually, on the 97- up, you don't get a warning from the gauges, because very soon after charging stops, the gauge drops to zero and sets the warning light. I suppose it's a useful feature to warn you of a problem, but it means you'll never know what shape the battery is in as you go unless you run a separate voltmeter.

Typical "sounds like a good idea" thing they would do at cryco.

A voltage guage should be a voltage guage, not a "we know best" idiot light.

I think they have a full department of people who have nothing better to do with their time than think of ways to dumb down the modern driver.

Typical "sounds like a good idea" thing they would do at cryco.

A voltage guage should be a voltage guage, not a "we know best" idiot light.

I think they have a full department of people who have nothing better to do with their time than think of ways to dumb down the modern driver.
Hence why most NEW(er) vehicles have LESS gauges than they had be using.
I know that some have their info screen/computer display, but still. For MOST people, the less they see the better.

I love the responses on here...If you have AAA use it. You put other people at risk if it dies suddenly and you can't get off the road. Seriously, what a dumb question

AAA? for a dead alternator, i love YOUR response.... if you started swapping it, you'd be done by the time AAA got there...

i lost my alternator on my 93 around 1030 on a sunday night almost 2 hours from home. drove home without the radio, ac (its was REALLY hot and humid out mind you) and just parking lights (LED tail lights woo) behind semi trucks the whole time. charge on the batt was like 8v when i got home.

go for it.

Back