• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear swap?

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
tried searching with no joy...

Hey all, I have a 2001 Xj with 3.55 ratios and 31's. I'm bumping up the tire size to 32' and buying a utility trailer to haul wood, lumber etc on.

I want to change gear ratios to 4.10/4.11. When looking at the vendor sites it says that I have to have a 3.73 carrier or better to install a higher gear that I want. Many times the vendor sites are wrong.

Well, are they in this case? Can I go ahead and swap outy gears or will I need to find 3.73 carriers?

You will need a new carrier for the front,rear depends on what axle you have,D35=new carrier,if you have a C8.25 your good to go.

Ok, thats what Ive been reading but I wanted to hear it from the voice of experience. I got a 8.25 in the back so Im good to go.

Thanks

Chad

...and you should do 4.56 while you're regearing :)

...and you should do 4.56 while you're regearing :)
X2 I've been thinking about this for a while now and if you plan on towing or anything like that with 33's you"ll be much happier with the 4.56's and even with 4.56's you'll still get decent fuel mileage!

Back