• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cowl mounted lights

RedChuck

NAXJA Forum User
mounting lights through cowl. i want to bolt 4 rectangulars to the cowl. any issues with bolting to the plastic on the cowl? vibration etc?

i know people have made light bars across but i want to get them as close to the body as i can.

any specific models that are lower profile?

i was going put the on the roof but i realize my wind surf board will take em out.

If your jeep is even the slightest bit shiny on the hood the glare from the lights is going to blind you, and even if it's not your hood is going to be lit up so bright that your eyes won't adjust well to the darkness ahead of the jeep. you could make some kind of shield I suppose but why not make a lightbar that's removable? that way they won't be a problem when your board goes on top.

thought about that but morning setup on the beach would be nice to turn those suckers on.

i had two bolted under the jeep. took one off with a snow bank and the other with a rock so that is not an option. my bumper is only and inch forward of the grille so they would be the first thing to contact with a object

how about off the mirrors?

that wont work out great man. It will reflect off your hood way to bad. Trust me I know lol. I have 4 hella 500 on my roof, sitting about 6" above the roof and they still beamed down off the hood and blinded me. What ended up working for me is build a custom bar that sits right ontop of the roof and moving the bar aways back on the roof. That way they can only beam straight forward. Thats what I would do if you put them on the cowl, mount them as low to the hood as you can. See how it works out

If you're running a stock bumper, I'd just pick up some of the low-profile driving lights (3"x 6" or whatever, the ones for $20 at Walmart), cut some holes in the bumper, and mount them inside. The lower edge of the bumper angles back so you can use it for mounting the lights, and the bumper will help protect them from getting ripped off.

I ran that setup for a few years on my rig and they worked great. Nice part is when it's foggy they're lower than the headlights and help light the road. Only reason I got rid of 'em was a substantial boulder decided my XJ would look better sans bumper, heh.

If you're running a stock bumper, I'd just pick up some of the low-profile driving lights (3"x 6" or whatever, the ones for $20 at Walmart), cut some holes in the bumper, and mount them inside. The lower edge of the bumper angles back so you can use it for mounting the lights, and the bumper will help protect them from getting ripped off.

Those were the lights I used but I didn't mount them recessed in the bumper.

shoecreek11-10-01.jpg

More info at http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/kevin108s-2000-xj-build-867428/index10.html#post10263358

Back