• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UPOL Raptor Tintable: anyone here used it?

spencer elliott

NAXJA Forum User
can anyone here who has used the tintable version of the raptor liner speak to how well the color matches?

im going to be taking the plunge here shortly and i cant decide on the black or tintable. ive got an 01 silver XJ and wanna match the liner to my factory paint... if its worth it. if its a super PITA then ill just shoot the black on there, but i would much prefer a match.

i have heard that the bottles arent even big enough to fit UPOLs recommended amount of tint base and hardener...? and that guys are mixing the stuff in a different container and then pouring it back into the UPOL bottles to shoot it on.

im going to be coating my lower doors / rockers, the pinch seam up to the frame rails, rear quarter lowers, the bumper endcaps (all 4), bumpers, inner fenders, and possibly the roof. this is all set to take place the week of July 11th - 15th.

i suppose that there may not be many that have used the tintable, and even less that did and tried to match to the factory color. if anyone has any experience or resource for more info i would greatly appreciate it.

I did this about 3 months ago, and it turned out great. I did not have a problem with filling/overfilling etc.. like some other people have stated. I used some Duplicolor Urethane paint, and it turned out good. It seems to be holding up pretty well. Don't plan on putting in your center console again, because it does not fit well at all. Just put in some little MOLE fanny packs from your Army Surplus. If you'd like some pictures, I'll take some tomoorrow for you.

i would love to see pictures. did you match your factory paint?

im not doing the inside though i like my carpet too much. so i wont have to worry about the center console.

i was also very much considering Monstaliner. i just got a Monstaliner sample in the mail with 2 different color samples. first thoughts were great, but after doing some scraping on the edges of it both samples top layers started to flake off far to easily. and i was just using my thumb nail. this leads me to believe that Monstaliner isnt very durable... like at all.

can anyone speak to the durability of Monstaliner?

The raptor liner is great, I had a 100lb rock back there, rolling around and it held up great, hardly any signs of abuse. Here's some interior pictures.
003.jpg
002.jpg
001.jpg

Dude, your XJ is seriously warped, I feel like I'm looking through a fish's eye or something...;)

Back