• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Rail leak problem

Keithmania

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so I just re-installed the head on my Jeep.

Have a 1990 Jeep with the Renix setup... When taking it apart I completely disassembled the fuel rail. I.e. unbolted the fuel rail, popped the fuel rail free of the injectors and removed the injectors (cause I wanted to see the condition of the injectors) ... Everything seemed ok and after reassembly I have a helper crank the engine to repressurize the fuel rail and gas comes pouring out of the fuel rail between the fuel rail and the injectors. I thought I had the injectors seated so I may recheck that, but is there anything that I am overlooking? Maybe a new ring kit for the injectors?

New injector o-rings lubed up real well after cleaning out the bore of the rail and manifold would be good.
Or, for $89 you could get a set of reman, flow-matched, 4 disc injectors, with new o-rings, mailed postpaid from www.precisionautoinjection.com.
FWIW, your old Renix injectors, which may look good, are prone to external leakage and causing engine firees.

It's pretty easy to nick or tear those o-rings when you're installing the injectors, especially if the o-rings are old. You also want to inspect those injectors closely to make sure they're not leaking from the seam, as cruiser54 said, they do have a well known failure rate.

There's also carbon and deposits on the bore of the manifold and the rail, which will tear o-rings in a hurry. Need to be cleaned out before installing new injectors or o-rings.

From all of the injectors or just specific ones? OR.. from the fuel supply or return line junctions?

There are small seal packages used to connect the rail to the 2 lines.

From all of the injectors or just specific ones? OR.. from the fuel supply or return line junctions?

There are small seal packages used to connect the rail to the 2 lines.

Its leaking specifically from the junction between the injectors and the fuel rail. Everything else is ok. Good to know about the failure rates though, seems like a good investment to replace them out right...

OK, so between a bathroom remodel for my mom-in-law and the rest of life, I managed to finally get the o-rings replaced on the fuel injectors just to see if it were an injector leak or a fuel rail problem. Everything seated nice and snug, had my nephew crank the engine over and the number 1 fuel injector seal around the o-ring fails again... After taking a look at the fuel rail, it seems that it has been stepped on. The cup that the injector sits in on the fuel rail is now an oval. So, I am gonna replace the whole lot of the injectors, cause like the earlier posts said, lots of engine fires from this injector make, but the thing i cannot seem to locate is a new fuel rail. You can't throw a dead cat with out hitting a newer fuel rail for 1991 and later but the Renix fuel rail seems to have vanished. Anyone know of a source I could get a new fuel rail from? I really don't want to reuse the one I have cause the odds of getting it back in shape once bent is nil...

Back