• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS bad???

Taro2413

NAXJA Forum User
So i read the testing procedure from every single website you could possibly imagine and a couple from this forum. Now my question is is my TPS bad or is there another laundry list of problems it could be. This is what i got so far....

Input Voltage is 4V.....this kinda concerns me to because if the book calls for 5V and everyone else says there getting around 4.5V-4.6V then something else seems wrong

Output Voltage is 0.....before trying to adjust it i moved throttle to WOT and no change still 0. after trying to adjust it still nothing turning TPS right and then left nothing still 0.

Ground is good on my xj...thats probably the only thing that turned out right in my testing.

Also i did pull the fuse to the TCM and walla its shifts perfect manually of course and while i dont have a tach (idiot light cluster) i could tell it went into overdrive by flooring it after shifting thru all gears and took a normal amount of time to accelerate from 45-50 so im pretty confident it was in OD.

I guess for my question...again...do my readings mean the TPS is bad or is there something else i should be looking at? Sorry almost forgot i have a 87 xj mpi base model. :explosion

Are you sure the arm on the TPS is situated so it moves when the butterfly opens?

If there is 4v on the high side and 0v on the low side and you rotate the sensor, either the sensor is bad or the ECU or wiring harness is shorted.

4v is low but I have seen it before. The power is provided by a three terminal regulator inside the ECU. The power also goes to other sensors so any sensor could be loading the high side, but even with it loaded, the TPS output should vary. If it doesn't, pull the sensor and use an ohmmeter to measure from the low side to the output and the high side to the output as you rotate the lever one side should go up from roughly 0 ohms and the other side should come down from its starting value to almost 0.

yes i checked that also thinking maybe was put in wrong when previous owner replaced it but its fine actuates when throttle is depressed.

Thx for the help i am going to get part tomorrow and replace it. Im hoping it is just a bad sensor. ive been reading that these things dont last very long and have always been a problem child.

So i got new TPS today and installed and adjusted it properly and.....WALLA jeep is back to life and on the road :) now time to do the hd cooling mods!!! WOOT. thx for the help guys

Back