• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion Oil Baffle

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
In replacing my pinion bearings I ruined the oil baffle (HP D30) and ordered a new Spicer baffle. There were no other shims. The new baffle went in and my pinion is now too deep and backlash too tight. I mistakenly did not measure either baffle, but am assuming the new one is a few thousandths thicker.

I read somewhere that the dealer has more than one thickness baffle available, but they knew nothing on the phone. Anyone got a dealer part number?

Did you replace the bearing cups?The shims should be there.

Yes. There were no shims. Just the baffle.

Sometimes the shims are hard to find, but they should be there. The shims should be under the inner pinion bearing cup. Check the old races, shims will sometimes stick to them once you pull them out.

There could be a few other problems too, like not getting the bearing cups fully seated.

Seems to me you may need to pull it down again and recheck. From what I know there is only one thickness baffle. If you still can't find the shims, and you are sure the set-up is wrong and the thing is put together right. You can adjust pinion depth a little more by changing out the oil slinger on the pinion gear. I know these have different thicknesses available. If you bought a master bearing install kit, it should have a few different thickness slingers and some various shims. But obviously no baffle. Measure the baffles to check for thickness variations first, then adjust as necessary.

Just a picture, (I don't want to suggest anyone should be buying stuff from these guys.)

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replacement-parts/jeep-axles-differentials/xj-dana-30-front.php

Well you know if I was spending all that money, I would make sure it was done right.

Good point, and it's definitely better to have it in there if possible. It strikes me as odd that with no shims the pinion is too deep. I have never encountered this. Definitely check to be sure the bearing cup is fully seated and there is no debris behind it.

Back