• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tread Lightly!

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Once again another day of rain in the great Northwest.

I think we can pretty much count on the trails being pretty sloppy for this years event. That means we all need to be aware of the tread lightly priciples, and not impact the trails more than we need too. Last year (pre-NWF) the trails were heavily abused during the spring season, which lead to this years trail closure.

First off stay on the trail. Don't create your own bypasses around obstacles. It doesn't take much time to hook up a tow strap, or rig a winch line. Also, avoid using illegal bypasses. Sometimes it's hard to tell if a section is part of a trail or not, but always try to stay on the path more traveled and avoid widening the trails.

Keep the wheel speed under control. Conditions are going to be slick, which means it's going to be easy to dig. If you find yourself not making progress, don't just hammer down. Back up, and assess the situation, and try to use your momentum to carry you up rather than wheel speed. Avoid digging ruts, and holes on the trails. A lot of the trails are loose dirt/clay and can easily get chewed up after a few rigs pass.

Limit the attempts on an obstacle. Aardvark hill is coming to mind on this one. Generally stick to the three tries rule. If you still aren't making progress after three tries on an obstacle look for some assistance whether it be a tow strap or winch line. Again, it doesn't take a lot of time to rig something up, and it will help avoid extra abuse to the trail.

Bust out the elbow grease. The Forest Service can use all the extra help they can get. There's reports of a lot of downed trees in the area. Lets try to clear them out of the way, rather than driving over/around them. If you see something that needs attention, let the group know and see if they would be up for stopping to fix it. Bring a pair of gloves, shovel, bow saw. I won't encourage people to bring their chain saws, but if they happen to find their way into the Jeep they may be useful. ;)

I would hope most of this stuff should be common sense, but I think it's a good reminder before an event. If anyone has anything extra to add, feel free.

Please take the time to skim over the Tread Lightly guidelines HERE.

Im not from the NW but I feel like threads like this should be posted more often. This site does a LOT of educating about our XJ's but i think we should push for more educating about Stay the trail and trail maintenance.

this post = :thumbup:

Dustin, Great reminder!!

The only thing that I would add is that it is very easy when we are part of a group to let the "group" mentality take over and not make the best decisions.

The first person in the group or the trail leaders really need to be comfortable speaking up and for the rest of the group to honestly work together to come to the resolution that is best for the trail and area and not necessarily the "fastest" to get to point B.

This is a wonderful section of land that we get to use with lots of great trails and I would really like to get to keep useing it with my kids!!

Michael

Well-said Dustin. Some satisfaction comes from blocking illegal bypasses. Im looking forward to running the trails with you guys and maybe fixing them up a little.

Back