• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your thoughts on a etched advantage locker?

Trail Ready

NAXJA Forum User
I thought my buddie thought him locker was a lock right but it's a auburn gear etched model #545017.I have never heard of anyone using these.I don't know if I should sell it or just keep it

I do have one in my rear D44 and love it. It is a clutch LSD/locker which requires an additive in he oil. For what I wanted, it is he only thing out there. For me, I needed an LSD not a locker. The ECTED is an LSD that get tighter when the switch is activated.

I would not use it if I were to use tires larger than 32" or drive the hard trails. The only problem I have had with it is that it sometimes do not disengage when it is turned off,....he magnet remain magnetized. It never bohered me being in the back and usually disengages after a few minutes. For mild trails, small-ish tires and DD duties it fit nicely.

I've got one in my daughter's Wrangler. It was great for a year or so, then the LS stopped working.

'A year or so',... How many miles? How much time offroad?

Mine have about 25,000 miles without problems. It have never been offroad and the XJ have no been used since 08/2009. If and when it go out, I will go o a full case selectable locker. I will still prefer to have an LSD back here but I do not know of one that I will be happy with.

To answer the original question, Yes, I like my ECTED because of the LSD and No, I will not buy another ECTED unless it go through major re-design.

about 14 months/7000 miles. Maybe 200 miles off road. Stroker with a manual. Its my daughter's jeep, and she really doesn't abuse it like I thought she would.

Oddly the locker still functions fine, it doesn't seem to have any LS left in it. Yes, I know that doesn't make sense, but jack up the back end, tires turn opposite. hit the switch = locked.

BTW I've been happy with the "locker". With a stroker and 31"s it doesn't seem to slip.

about 14 months/7000 miles. Maybe 200 miles off road. Stroker with a manual. Its my daughter's jeep, and she really doesn't abuse it like I thought she would.

Oddly the locker still functions fine, it doesn't seem to have any LS left in it. Yes, I know that doesn't make sense, but jack up the back end, tires turn opposite. hit the switch = locked.

BTW I've been happy with the "locker". With a stroker and 31"s it doesn't seem to slip.

Good to know. That mean I would not have to add a rear locker to the budget any time soon. I could use that money for a rear tire carrier/bumper and other goodies. Hey, wait a minute,...Dont the bumper tire carrier equal that of a locker? I just have to find a way to boost the budget. I need to pull the XJ out of its hiatus, re-gear and lock the front and get out there and wheel.

Back