• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash Mounted Oscillating Fan in an XJ

duke183

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I am too lazy to fix my a/c but need some cooler air in the XJ. Just wondering if anyone has any experience on mounting one of these bad boys inside. Any thoughts on where I could put it without damaging anything or making the interior look awful.

Fan I ordered

I am going bus driver style this summer. Hopefully it will help! Thanks all!

I am mainly trying this because it cost $20 versus $1700 at the shop or $500-$600 on my own and a lot of headaches.

I replaced my evaporator and accumulator for under $150 including fresh refrigerant. It'll take a weekend to do the job if you haven't done it before and have the right tools, but it's worth it.

What's wrong with your AC?

I call BS on those prices. Maybe if you bought all chrome plated hardware...idk even then that an absurd price you quoted. Hit up a jy or something or you could just take your doors off...that's free and it probably moves more air than that little fan.

I replaced my evaporator and accumulator for under $150 including fresh refrigerant. It'll take a weekend to do the job if you haven't done it before and have the right tools, but it's worth it.

What's wrong with your AC?

Throw in a heater core while you're in there and you're now at around $200.

It's not that hard of a job as a lot make it out to be. Just a very time consuming one.

it is very very very time consuming if you are retarded like me and tried to shimmy everything out with only loosening up the dash. if you just take it all out it's not that bad. but with that said i won't do it again. that's why i took all my a/c out when it shit the bed.

If you can do my A/C for $200 I'll pay you double the parts price and your airfare to come fix it.

I did the hack job evap repair and gave up when I couldn't get the lines disconnected with that stupid "special" tool.

If you can do my A/C for $200 I'll pay you double the parts price and your airfare to come fix it.

I did the hack job evap repair and gave up when I couldn't get the lines disconnected with that stupid "special" tool.

You can get the evaporator for $65 shipped on ebay, about the same from rockauto. another $25 ish for the accumulator if the system hasn't had pressure in a while. $10 for a gasket/o-ring kit and you're good. I did have some trouble with the line disconnect tool but it's just because it's on there TIGHT. When I finally braved up and gave it some force I got it apart.

So, for under $100 in parts, you're set. A deep 10mm socket is needed and some flex-head ratchet wrenches will be appreciated for the nuts holding the HVAC box to the firewall. Once it's all back together you'll need to find somebody with a vacuum pump and fittings for the AC service connections, draw the vacuum and hold it to check for leaks. I had a couple from trying to reuse a couple o-rings. Charge the system with a can of good refrigerant (I sprung for the Dupont stuff, no "leak sealer" junk) and you're good.

I did the job last fall and it's still blowing nice and cold today in the 98* heat on my way to work today. Sat in the parking lot for a bit and listened to the radio, even turned the fan speed down a little. :)

Back