• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keyless entry

jeepster1985

NAXJA Forum User
I have '96 classic, in the overhead console there is a black bubble. I am under the impression that it is the receiver for the keyless entry. Anyway the previous owner thought he would be cute and not tell me that there was an aftermarket alarm system in it hahaha. Anyway I was wondering if it would still be possible to program a new factory remote to the keyless entry from the factory or will that alarm cause me any trouble

I am not sure about the alarm system, but I believe they sell kits to overide the alarm. My 92 has the same bubble. I bought remote for it and took it to the Jeep dealer and they told me that the computer inside the truck was fried and is $250 for a new comp plus installation. I then went and bought a $50 keyless entry system from Advanced Auto Parts and it works better than my friends 90 xj with factory keyless. She has to stand beside her jeep for it to work, where as mine works 300 feet plus. Hope this helps.
Tylor

most say the old IR style keyless don't work well.

Yea I can back those guys up on the old IR remotes. I have a 96 with the IR and it sucks. Doesn't even seem to wanna go through the factory tint on my windows and have to stand close the clear glass (1-3 feet). Would buy after market if i was you. NICK

You can get a replacement IR remote for about $10 on flEabay. The owners man tells how to program the car, not the remote, to activate it. If you do the Advance Auto thing you'll have to disconnect the alarm anyway.
And yes the RF remotes work much better than the IR. The one that was in the Lightning that I had worked from at least a block away. The one in my WJ is only good for about 150'. But that's a lot better than the 5' for my XJ.

Back