• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Knuckle Install

Rammin97

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first build so I wanted some input before going forward.
I am installing my flat top knuckles on my Waggy 44. Driver side installed with no problems following the Parts Mike instructions. Knuckle moves back and forth smoothly with just a little resistance.
Passenger side not so good. Once I torque both upper and lower ball Joints, there is a ton of resistance moving it back and forth. I got the passenger side knuckle in a killer trade. it was already Milled, Tapped, and had new Spicer Ball Joints already installed. They had been sitting awhile so I shot some fresh grease in them to loosen them up..

What am I missing? Thanks:dunno:

I had a similar problem but it was my u-joint. A few taps with a brass hammer and it was smooth. Just a though. And grease never hurts!

Tap where? Tops of the ball joints, knuckle, C's?? I have another knuckle with new ball joints that I was thinking of trying but if its a simple fix, Im all for it. Thanks for the input.

Got it.. I just found a thread on Pirate that says to install the knuckle without the preload sleeve, torque lower BJ to 80ft, then install the preload sleeve, torque to 50ft, then Torque Upper BJ to 100ft. I have seen a ton of different install steps so i will see if this works.. maybe the sleeve is not seating all the way or something. Im going to work some grease into the joints as well in case there is a dry spot too.

I think its the lower joint itself. i just installed another knuckle with new, spicer joints, and it sets up perfectly. I hope that swapping joints will do it. As stated ealier, i got the knuckle with the joints already installed. they are new but are way stiff even after greasing and working the heck out of them. I dont know what brand they are so I am going to put the Spicer joints in it. No sense in putting questionable joints in my freshly built Golden Waggy!! I say golden since this axle will cost more than my entire jeep when finished..:rattle:

I should clarify before I get flamed. The dude I got the knuckle from said they were Spicer but I am not 100% sure if they are or not.. Sorry

Back