• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do i get rid of my ABS

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be swapping in a C8.25 and I have ABS. I have searched on and off of NAXJA and I can't really find anything solid.
I know how to disable the ABS by taking out the Fuses and the Relays but what do I do about the lines and the pump?
If I disable the ABS by removing the fuses and Relays can I just cut the lines going to the rear end? or should I try and remove them but zip tie them out of the way?
I have been told by numerous people that it doesn't do anything for inspection purposes because this is my daily driver.
What have you guys done with your ABS when you switched from the D35?

I completely removed all abs crap including the master cylinder, and replace master cylinder and power booster with a 96 setup. You will also have to change pedal assembly as well, not a big deal, pretty easy job

Since your 8.25 wont have the tone rings, it wont work. But pulling fuse/relay keep the light off. Your brakes will work normally, non-functiong ABS does not affect your brake system. Unless you had the renix POS ABS system.
I say just leave it as is and do the swap / pull the fuse/relay.

i would rather not have to pull all of the ABS stuff just cause it seems like unnecessary work. If I can get away with leaving there I will.

I know the 8.25 wont have the tone rings but can I just cut the lines going to the tone rings?

I would rather not spend the time replacing all this stuff with a Non ABS setup. If I can get away with pulling the fuses/relays and cutting out the lines I will.

Is there any added benefit to completely removing all of this crap? besides the room?

i would rather not have to pull all of the ABS stuff just cause it seems like unnecessary work. If I can get away with leaving there I will.

I know the 8.25 wont have the tone rings but can I just cut the lines going to the tone rings?

I would rather not spend the time replacing all this stuff with a Non ABS setup. If I can get away with pulling the fuses/relays and cutting out the lines I will.

Is there any added benefit to completely removing all of this crap? besides the room?
Without the input from (or lack of) the rear wheel sensors your ABS won't function, period. Removing fuse/relay gets rid of the light. IF you do not want to R&R anything else. Don't.
Sorry if confused you with my previous post. But no real benefit of all the extra work.

There is no benefit to pulling the pump. Just pull the relays and fuses, then cut the wires.

There is no benefit to pulling the pump. Just pull the relays and fuses, then cut the wires.

x2. Exactly what I did when I swapped in my 8.25.

Normally if you bleed your brakes with ABS you need to hook up a device to the computer so that the pump knows it's being bled. After I disable the pump can I bleed the brakes without the computer?

Normally if you bleed your brakes with ABS you need to hook up a device to the computer so that the pump knows it's being bled. After I disable the pump can I bleed the brakes without the computer?

Yes, you can bleed your brakes normally. You only need to bleed with a computer if the ABS pump goes dry (highly unlikely). I have bled my brakes millions of times with the ABS pump intact. You can bleed your brakes like normal unless you run the entire system dry.

Edit: I just pulled my ABS pump a few days ago. Before that, I had the pump installed for years even though I didn't use it. There is no need to pull the ABS pump unless you want the extra space (I am going to put my ARB air pump in that spot and re-install the stock air box).

not sure about when they changed the ABS system, I know on earlier jeeps the regular brakes wouldnt work with the ABS disabled.

i have a 2000, and ripped the fuses/relays and the fuse for the dash light.

I also swapped my dana35 out for a 8.25. I simply unplugged the wheel sensor wire from the connector under the drivers side rear seat(under the carpet I believe), pushed it through the floor plug to the outside and then replugged the hole so it wouldnt get moisture inside.

I would not recommend cutting the wires to the rear sensors as they can be unplugged under the rear seat on the late model style ABS. In addition, those of us with the late model ABS might be interested in the old sensors if they are still good and can be reused.

FWIW, I transfered the ABS from my Dana 35 to my Dana 44 and have been very happy with the results. Did it cost money, time, and trouble? Yes, but worth it in my opinion. I used the thread fyrftyr1717 wrote as a guide. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=998638

Good luck, which ever way you decide to go.

Back