• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender flares

bert01xj

NAXJA Forum User
was looking to get flares since we got pulled over tonight for not having full tire coverage. now i have 15 days to get them on and checked out by the man. will the bw cover a 33 12.50 on a rim with 4'' bs. if not what other options do i have?

A search should turn up a lot of info on this...

1. Go to google
2. Type in fender flares naxja
3. Press enter

X2 on search. Very common question you're asking here.

The b-w flares should without problems. But I personally prefer Rustys flares, both looks and the fact that they flex. From what I've seen the b-w flares like to rattle loose and shatter into prices if you hit one.

33x12.50r15 BFG KM2 on black steel 15x8 wheels with 3.75" BS bushwacker cutout flares and a 3.5" lift stock width axles

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

Doesn't it depend on the state? I remember when I lived in wisconsin, your tires, as measured from the most protruding part of the rubber(usually the middle of the sidewall) could legally extend outside the body by 1 1/2" inches.

Flexy Flares FTW.. Low priced and dont crack when you rub on rocks.

4.5" lift, 33x12.50r15 mounted ob MT wheels 3.75 bs. Bushwacker Flats, Works well
010-4.jpg

002-7.jpg

001-6.jpg

. From what I've seen the b-w flares like to rattle loose and shatter into prices if you hit one.

Mine have not rattled loose, nor have they shattered. I am wearing one or two down on rocks though. :)

X2 on search. Very common question you're asking here.

The b-w flares should without problems. But I personally prefer Rustys flares, both looks and the fact that they flex. From what I've seen the b-w flares like to rattle loose and shatter into prices if you hit one.

I have installed quite a few sets of bushwacker flares and they have addressed the reputation that they have formed with the flares. The older design was made of a harder plastic that tended to crack alot and the screws used to hold them on had a very shallow fine thread that would strip out of the sheet metal of the fenders. When I ordered mine I was unaware of the change but when they showed up I noticed they were much different from older designs that I installed on other XJs. The ones that I have are made of a softer and more flexible plastic and they now have a textured finish identical to factory black flares on 97+ XJs instead of the smooth finish they had before. The screws used to hold them on now have a deeper and more coarse thread for a better "bite" into the flare to reduce their tendency to pop off.

cf28f920.jpg

That's my jeep with bw flat flares. at the time it had 32x11.50 on 3.50" backspacing. It currently has 33x12.50. The tread is covered by the flare, but the bulge of the tire isn't if that makes sense. I'm not sure of the wording of the law in your state if it requires the tire to be covered or the tread to be covered which could make a difference.

I have installed quite a few sets of bushwacker flares and they have addressed the reputation that they have formed with the flares. The older design was made of a harder plastic that tended to crack alot and the screws used to hold them on had a very shallow fine thread that would strip out of the sheet metal of the fenders. When I ordered mine I was unaware of the change but when they showed up I noticed they were much different from older designs that I installed on other XJs. The ones that I have are made of a softer and more flexible plastic and they now have a textured finish identical to factory black flares on 97+ XJs instead of the smooth finish they had before. The screws used to hold them on now have a deeper and more coarse thread for a better "bite" into the flare to reduce their tendency to pop off.

Glad they fixed that! Not too many options for us XJ guys to begin with, ya know. The ones Im talking about are quite a few years old. Statement recalled...

Back