• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter problems?

wijeepguy716

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 Cherokee sport with a 4.0/aw4/np231. I went out to move it , turned the key to start it and it did nothing. My first thought was a dead battery, which is a optima red top. I put the charger on it and it reads that it is dead. So i let it set for about 30 minutes, went out to try and start it and it still does nothing. Can this be the starter? I don't even get a solenoid click , just dead.

Turn the headlights on so you can see them in a reflection like a window, or after dark. try to crank it . If the lights dim a lot, or go out, its probably the battery.
If they dont dim much at all or none, its either the starter, or even more likely, a connection, cable or the notorious NSS.

Try moving it from park through the gears, try starting it in P and Neutral also.

Sounds like NSS..

just curious - what is nSS?

swapped it out with one from my parts cherokee, and it works fine. funny thing is I put the one I took out in the parts jeep and it starts in park but not neutral. go figure

Back