• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgraded tie rod and draglink

westvalleyxj

NAXJA Forum User
Well I need to replace my tie rod ends and was wondering if there was a upgraded tie rod and drag link system besides the currie and other expensive aftermarket companies. I read somewhere that a ZJ system might work, but I cannot seem to find that link anywhere. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? Thanks.

A ZJ v8 tierod is solid rather than hollow which is a good stock replacement if you're not going to do anything hardcore.

If you can find the ZJ tie rod/TREs for cheap do that. Otherwise GO for something better like the ironman4x4fab tie rod/TREs. I believe that the drag link is the same for XJ/ZJ.

Your stock drag link should be just fine. No need to upgrade that when its already solid stock. The ZJ is nice. Deff a big beef over stock. But if you want something thats really beef and that will never bend or break or anything, you should give crane/crawlertech here in Denver a call.

He build them out of aluminum and they bend if you hit them but once you back off it straightens by itself. Will never bend. And its lightweight. can use heims on both ends, heim and a TRE or TRE on both sides. It only cost me $180 for him to build it. and I deff think it was worth the money. Maybe just something to look into.

I recently finished doing the V8 ZJ steering upgrade and the steering feels awsome solid now. Everything that was on mine was worn out and It had a bad death case of wobble before the upgrade. I used all new parts too not JY junk.

1) #DS1312 TRE (long) $35.00
1) #DS1238 Drag link $57.50
2) #ES3096 TRE (short) $19.00 ea. $38.00 (one goes on the drag link, the other on the tie rod)
1) #ES2079S Adjuster sleeve $13.00
--------
$143.50 + Tax (of course)

:gunsmilie:

There has been alot of discussion about Autozone's and Moog's parts but mine being a weekend warrior i can't justified paying extra for Moog, so i went ahead i got mine from AZ.
AZ or Moog? Is your call but either way, is definitely an upgrade.

#DS1312 TRE (long) $35.00
#ES3096 TRE (short) $19.00 ea. $38.00 (one goes on the drag link, the other on the tie rod)
#ES2079S Adjuster sleeve $13.00

I only replaced my trackbar bushing, tie rod and draglink bushing (did not replace the draglink as i was told they are the same as ZJ's and mine looks fine).
The difference was night and day.

GL.

I'm about to replace my steering right now, or at least something to get me by, does the V8 ZJ steering just link right up without mod?

Ok just makeing sure. So there IS a noticable diffrence with these TRE's ? Iam not sure that I need the draglink, but my TRE's are deffinatly shot so I figured I'd try these for now till I can swap to 1 ton some day

Yes, you will immediately see a noticeable difference in shank size between stock xj tre's and stock zj tre's. Look at the tre connected to the pitman: they'll be that size.

Back