• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob...with problems...electrical & mechanical 1995 Sport...any help?

bmwe30nut

NAXJA Forum User
I asked at Cherokee Forums and got a few answers, but someone pointed me to here to check also. Skip to the part below the *********s if you want the quick version of the problem instead of the history...

In the middle of a fix-up on a 1995 Sport (auto, 178k miles). I bought it for $400 and it had 4 new tires (so as you might guess, the vehicle itself needed help).

It sat for close to 2 years before the guy sold it...had a frozen alternator and needed a battery and had a 'rumble' from the trans tunnel area.

I bought it...it was near my work, so I took some occasional time to change the alternator, belt and install a battery....finally got it titled and registered. Changed the oil and filter in his back yard before that.

Started the drive home...the radiator blew (water pump was bad...I think that was the source). Also would only work in 4WD Low (grinding with no power in both 2WD Hi and 4WD Hi (full and part time))

Replaced the radiator, fan shroud, water pump and thermostat.

Replaced the starter (thought it was bad...but it was a poor connection at the battery that was the issue...however, it was pretty gunked up so probably would have been a failure point anyway)

The floors are rusted out....

Winter hits....I have no garage space to work...so it sits.

Change out the Transfer Case for a 231 Case I got cheap (and the crank position sensor as I had developed a hart start issue when I was occasionally turning it over and letting it run).

Remove the carpet and cut out the rust.

Last weekend I get the floors replaced with 16ga steel and coat the floors with bedliner...

Replace all the trim I took out to do the floors. Put the driver's seat in and the center console...have to go to work that afternoon, but I took it for a quick test drive around the block....works pretty good...

However (problem B...the more minor for now)...when I put it in 4 WD Lo or Hi and try to turn right or left, it seems to lose power steering (very hard to turn the wheel) and makes a grinding/sproinging noise (bad description, but in addition to the grinding, sounds like a spring groaning while being compressed). I'm going to pull the front wheels this weekend and check the brakes...just wondering what I should look at to check for problems...

Then I come home from work, have my daughter help put the passenger front and rear seats in...and suddenly no start (no crank at all) (The major issue for now)....

The ignition key causes it to buzz when it's in and the door is open. Brake lights and headlights work....

Blower fan, turn signals, backup lights, windshield wipers are not working with the key in the run & start (and accessory) positions.

Not sure where to look as the potential issue (probably start with the ignition switch).

I can do some body work, mechanical is OK..I can usually puzzle it out...but electrical is a bit harder for me to figure out.

Thanks for any help!

BMWe30nut.

Last edited:
Now it fixed itself...tried yesterday when I got home from work. Put the key in...nothing. Just for grins, I did pushed the brake in, moved it to Reverse then back to Park...and it works fine. Did nothing to the wiring, etc....and now everything works.

Want to figure out what caused it so it won't leave me stranded somewhere....

And still need some ideas on the noises from the front.

Thanks for any help.

BMWe30Nut.

Well..... there's an issue with the neutral safety switch (NSS) that you sort-of worked around when moving the shifter. Search NAXJA for the NSS issue. Generally you can get by with it by either giving the shifter a slight palm bump or moving the shifter to Neutral to start. It's function is to stop dumb people from starting the vehicle in anything but drive or N. It allways fails and can be replaced or just simply bypassed.
That is probably the cause of the starting issue.
As for the rest of the electrical issues, you said it has set a lot and so there may be corroded grounds, loose wires, rat damage? I assume you checked fuses. Thats about where i would start. There are sometimes a lot of grounding issues that can seem troublesome. Like the ground strap to the engine block and corrosion.

Caution: The 231 xfer case is for "dirt" only.
Bad no-no to run 4 wheel on pavement.

Use a handheld multimeter to check that each fuse is getting and passing 12 volts. Under hood and inside.

Good Luck,
Orange

Back