• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 TJ Transfer case in a 98 XJ?

Dirt22

NAXJA Forum User
I tried the search, every thread regarding a transfer case drop came up... :wow:

I just put an atlas 5.0 in my TJ and was wondering if my 231 (HD chain, new seals, SYE adapter, yada yada) would bolt into my 98 XJ?

Any info would be appreciated.

If the XJ is also a 4x4 then yes is should swap right in no problem. There may be some differences in the shifter linkage and/or brackets that you may have to address but those should be easy enough to get around.

Thats what I was thinking, a 231 is a 231... The shift handle in the cab is identical to the one that was in my TJ, so I'd hope it's the same linkage underneath.

Thanks!

I may be incorrect but I believe that the 231's in the TJ's are clocked higher then in the XJ's.

I may be incorrect but I believe that the 231's in the TJ's are clocked higher then in the XJ's.

The TJ's are clocked higher, but the t-cases are the same. The higher clocking comes from the differently drilled mounting holes on the tranny output housing. The only differences you may run into are different sensor plugs and possibly a different shifter arm, both of which could easily be swapped off the original t-case.

The TJ's are clocked higher, but the t-cases are the same. The higher clocking comes from the differently drilled mounting holes on the tranny output housing. The only differences you may run into are different sensor plugs and possibly a different shifter arm, both of which could easily be swapped off the original t-case.
interesting.. but are the spline counts the same?

interesting.. but are the spline counts the same?

Spline counts are the same, 23 spline. Spline input lengths may vary though, autos and manuals have different lengths and some later TJ autos are longer the XJ autos.

This is done by the tailhousing on the transmission, not the transfer case proper. That's why the tail needs to be swapped on transmissions going from YJ/TJ to XJ/MJ/ZJ, and vice versa.

Back