• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding Aftermarket Fog Lights to a no-OEM-Fog Light XJ

FrankGRUN

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to add aftermarket Fog Lights to my recently purchased '96 XJ Country Edition. The instrument panel switch array had no fog light switch so I concluded that the original vehicle came without the FGs. I wanted to do a clean install, so I got an OEM fog light switch and bezel at the junkyard, popped the instrument panel bezel and was surprised to find the Fog light switch connector and wiring hiding behind the cover plate.

At this point, I posted a question to the forum (like many others) asking if the standard wiring harness had essentially all the wiring needed to connect up the fog lights. Like many other such posts, my query went unanswered. But searches on this and other sites seems to form a consensus that the wiring was in place on all pre 97's. Studying my harness, I came to a different conclusion.

I went through the wiring diagrams in the FSM, chased out the color codes on my harness at the various connectors and got frustrated. I purchased a harness that I carefully removed from a junked XJ with factory fogs, then took it apart to follow the wiring. I quickly concluded that the harness in the engine bay of my '96 did not have the fog light wiring specified in the FSM.

Tracing the action of the factory fog light switch as connected to the residual wiring present behind the dashboard, I concluded that the center pin of the switch was connected to ground when in the on position and was disconnected from ground when in the off position. I therefore spliced a wire to the center pin/lead (leaving the factory connector attached to the switch). I then brought this lead into the engine compartment, and connected it to the ground lead for activating the aftermarket fog light relay. I then spliced into the low beam power lead in the factory harness to provide the triggering power for the Fog light relay. I then ran the power lead for the fog lights to the appropriate terminal of the relay and ran the fused battery lead to pin 30 on the relay.

As a result, with the factory fog light switch on, and the low beams on, the fog lights are on. The switch turns them off, and they are off when the high beams are on. For what its worth, I'm also running H4's for high al low beam headlights withn the recommended aftermarket high current harness. Everything works and I'm pleased with the amount of light available.

Hope this helps somebody.

Back