• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low speed wobble

hackNslashXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 Laredo 4.0 ax15, with a home made long arm lift. When I turn at low speeds, I get a nasty wobble like the front end sways side to side. It's fine straight line and at higher speeds. It had the ghetto long arms( Dom tube w/ heim joints) when j bought it and there was a small wobble when turning, I lubes the Heims with white lithium and lubes the ball joints and tie rod ends and it was good after that. I had my engine tore down for a month or so and I have it all back together now and the wobble is back and vicious. Any suggestions on where to start?

Check both ends of the track bar and all steering links for play. You'll need a 2nd person to check them correctly (start the car and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you lay under the front end and watch for movement). The axle should not move at all from side to side relative to the vehicle.

Sounds like a bad u-joint on the axle.

Turns out i had a tear in the frame where the gearbox bolts up. Looks like it has torn a time or 2 from the PO. I patched in some scrap metal with my wire feed and all seems good. Hopefully stronger than the last job. Looks like a steering brace is in order.

Back