• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick question on lift and axle position.

sheffeyva

NAXJA Forum User
Do you center the axle by sight or is there some measurements you can take? Basically I have seen the suggested control arm lengths with lifts and most say they are garbage. Should I set the wheelbase then correct the angles with the uppers? Basically I just need some guidelines for installing adjustable upper and lowers.

Edit: I have 4.5 inches of lift with Rough Country coils and their adjustable uppers and lowers.

Last edited:
There is a list somewhere of approx lengths that the CA's should be at for amount of lift.
Well, best way is to find the corrected caster measurement, for your height.
I would say adjust lowers for your caster, and then the uppers for pinion angle.

There is a list somewhere of approx lengths that the CA's should be at for amount of lift.
Well, best way is to find the corrected caster measurement, for your height.
I would say adjust lowers for your caster, and then the uppers for pinion angle.
Isn't caster angle and pinion angle in relation to each other? If I set the caster aren't I essentially setting the pinion angle? Isn't caster the relation of the ball joints to a level line through the center of the axle? Maybe I'm confused here.

yes once you set the bottom the it is where it is and once you start moving the top the caster and the pinon angle change at the same time. make a "c" with your left hand and rotate it back and forth. this is what happens when you adjust your control arms. i would suggest setting the lowers to get the wheel where you want it then adjust the angles with the uppers. i might be wrong but thats how ive always done it. also you can call rough country they are more than willing to give you advice over the phone.

yes once you set the bottom the it is where it is and once you start moving the top the caster and the pinon angle change at the same time. make a "c" with your left hand and rotate it back and forth. this is what happens when you adjust your control arms. i would suggest setting the lowers to get the wheel where you want it then adjust the angles with the uppers. i might be wrong but thats how ive always done it. also you can call rough country they are more than willing to give you advice over the phone.
So essentially set the axles centered as much as possible in the wheel well with the lowers then set the caster with the uppers and see if the driveline angles are still good. Can you play with the caster a little or essentially leave it as close as possible?

i have yet to install my 3.5" lift but advice from DPG tells me to set my LCA's 5/16" longer than stock, so thats where i am gonna start my base tune. i dunno if that helps at all. do with it what you will :canada:

the links and the caster/angle work together. you have to get both of the lengths right relative to each other to get the caster/pinion angle correct. You can change those angles by moving either the LCA or UCA independently. I set my lower first and used the upper to adjust the angles where I wanted them

Back