• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can Anyone Tell me where this hooks too

truck7575

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me where this (circled in orange) goes too? What hooks up to this place on the intake manifold?

QuestionPicture.jpg

It goes to the CCV at the rear of the valve cover. The CCV line that runs from the intake to the VC is supposed to run where you have an open air breather pushed in.

QuestionPicture.jpg

Last edited:
this is just an example picture, not my engine, but the place circled does not appear on my renix vacuum diagram but the ccv valve at back of the valve cover is hooked to the appropriate location in the picture per the factory vacuum diagram, this leaves me scratching my head because the circled line on my engine runs from the circled inlet on the intake manifold to the center port on the vacuum canister, according to my vacuum diagram nothing should be hooked to the center part of my vacuum canister. When I clamp this line to the idle drops about 300 RPM. I am chasing a high idle at about 1600rpm, when I clamp this tube it drops to 1300rpm (which i think is good) but I just have to figure out exactly is suppose to hook up at that spot on the intake manifold

Renix, eh? I may be wrong with the routing as I have a '96 and was basing my info off that. Not sure if they are different but I would just use the diagram you have. Sounds like the high idle is from something else.

Vacuum Leaks
For pre ‘92 jeeps the favorite spots to check are the hard line that goes from the canister behind your front bumper/right side-to behind the battery, up to the coolant bottle and into the soft line to the intake manifold. Also, the brake booster check valve. Other trouble spot is the EGR valve having a hole in the diaphragm.
Next is or a vacuum line off the map sensor.

i believe it does mess with the idle. its been a while since i fixed mine but i had a idling problem and as soon as i fixed it my idle was normal and all my blower functions started working again

I had it hooked to the middle line on my vacuum canister, when I block it off my idle drops 300rpm from 1600 to 1300, So I have a feeling that it isnt suppose to go to the vacuum canister plus it doesn't show this tube on the FSM vacuum diagram.

To the vacuum canister or the vacuum bottle behind your front bumper/right side or passengers.

It is indeed the main line to the vac cannister, whether you have a "football" or just a ball, that's the line to it.

I had it hooked to the middle line on my vacuum canister, when I block it off my idle drops 300rpm from 1600 to 1300, So I have a feeling that it isnt suppose to go to the vacuum canister plus it doesn't show this tube on the FSM vacuum diagram.

An idle of 1600 is pretty dang high. Both my rigs idle smoothly at <1000, more like 750. I'd think that it IS supposed to go there if you're idle goes down.

When the line is hooked to the canister the idle is higher, when I clamp off the line it drops about 300 RPM.. so i have it plugged and I seriously cant find the vacuum leak, I plugged every port to the intake manifold and when I start the jeep it starts around 900rpm then after about 15 seconds it goes gradually up to about 1300-1400 rpm, I have just replaced the intake/exhaust manifold gasket and all of those bolts are torqued to spec, I hooked up a new IAC and it didnt make any difference, so I am kind of at a loss.. Does anyone know the spec on the gap between the throttle body and the plate on the butterfly valve when it is closed, I am wondering if I have too much space allowing too much air through.

I'm a big fan of smoke testing the HVAC vacuum system. I've done it with a puffer, for plumbers, but the easiest way is to light up a cigar and blow into various vac lines. If you have a leak, you'll know it pretty quick, and WHERE it is!!

Off topic question; How are you able to draw lines on the pictures in the posts?

Do you have to open them in another "program"?:geek:

I download the picture then open it in the paint program then doodle on them then save them and reupload them to photobucket... then I can put them in a post with the additions I have made.

Back