• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust manifold replacement

Looks like the Dorman one, that can be found at your local parts house for a substantial amount more.

I have the Dorman on mine right now and have zero complaints! Just be sure to pick up a Felpro gasket, don't use the crappy one that comes with it.

just bolt it on and use the gasket that comes with it. no need to waste more money. for that price you cant complain. its not that hard to do either. all you need is an extension and a swivel. it tokk me 3 hours to do mine and i had never changed one before.

thanks how long have you had that on yours?

Since October with no issues. I went through a couple of APN's in about 4 months time prior to the Dorman (first one got taken out when my motor mount tried to run away and the second one had a bad casting defect that made it leak like crazy). I was going to go with another APN but couldn't keep the Jeep down while I waited for them to ship me another one, and the Dorman if bought from O'Rilley's has a lifetime warranty on it as well.

Personally, I would spend the extra $20 (if they're even that now) for a good, thick, Felpro gasket and not even bother with the cheapy ones. Why take the chance of a crappy gasket leaking a few months later?

Took me about two hours to replace mine the first time. I've done so many of them (including multiple replacements on mine) that I can get them done in just under an hour now. Unless you want to pull the injectors out of the intake, you'll need some Fuel Line Quick Disconnects (also work on A/C and Transmission Lines). Harbor Freight has a good deal on a very decent metal set of those.

i have taken my factory one out and welded it, but i think its leaking again, hence why i am looking around for a replacement.

thanks for the tips.

Not a problem. I'm not sure how long Dorman has included the flex joints in this manifold. I remember a coulpe of years ago when I first started looking at replacing them, they didn't have it (I worked for Advance and pulled a coulpe off the shelf to examine them carefully)....then when I went through the APN deal I noticed they included them.

just replaced my APN header with this part, i give it two thumbs up. AM parts shipped it fast too, i think i got it in three days. it was a better fit than the APN part as well in my 99. came with a pretty decent gasket too. my motor mounts were shot so i replaced with brown dog mounts, gotta give them three thumbs up, super awesome parts and highly recomended.

just replaced my APN header with this part, i give it two thumbs up. AM parts shipped it fast too, i think i got it in three days. it was a better fit than the APN part as well in my 99. came with a pretty decent gasket too. my motor mounts were shot so i replaced with brown dog mounts, gotta give them three thumbs up, super awesome parts and highly recomended.

so it fit ok with the 99 manifold? i have one on my 92, and i heard people were having to grind on the 99 manifold to get the last bolt in when they used the APN. did you have to do any of this?

No, APN does not include flex joints in the manifold. They have bigger tubes, and they appear to be closer to equal length tubes as well (more efficient).

As for the 99 intake fitment, between my 99 and a friend's with a 99 intake upgrade, out of 3 APN's I had to grind the intake on two of them. The first one I put on mine went on perfect, the second one I had to grind on the #6 runner on mine, and on my friends we had to grind on the #6 AND #1 runners. The Dorman part however, fit perfectly.

And just to clarify, it's not a bolt clearing issue, it's an issue of the runner on the intake manifold contacting the runner on the exhaust manifold.

yea i was noticing that the flow daddy banks, apn have more equal looking tubes, but the apn looks more factory but with the relief flex joints.

thanks

yep, the dorman manifold had no issues fitting in my 99. the APN did, had to do some grinding on the intake and get creative with a bfh on the first tube to get the intake to sit flat. also the runners on the APN got in the way of the lower mount bolts and the dorman didnt. I liked the sound of the APN better, just something positive to mention about it.

Looks like the Dorman one, that can be found at your local parts house for a substantial amount more.

I have the Dorman on mine right now and have zero complaints! Just be sure to pick up a Felpro gasket, don't use the crappy one that comes with it.

I ordered a replacement manifold for my 4 banger tj from the same seller, shipped very fast! Identical to the Dorman. If anything, made in the same factory in china.

I bought a fel pro gasket, and is IDENTICAL to the one shipped with the manifold. same thickness :dunno:

As for the 99 intake fitment, between my 99 and a friend's with a 99 intake upgrade, out of 3 APN's I had to grind the intake on two of them.
I have the same problem on a 96 intake.

...on my friends we had to grind on the #6 AND #1 runners....
And just to clarify, it's not a bolt clearing issue, it's an issue of the runner on the intake manifold contacting the runner on the exhaust manifold.

It looks like I have to shave just the rigid ribs on the intake runner #1 and #6, not the runners themselves.

Thank you,
Andrey

yep, the dorman manifold had no issues fitting in my 99. the APN did, had to do some grinding on the intake and get creative with a bfh on the first tube to get the intake to sit flat. also the runners on the APN got in the way of the lower mount bolts and the dorman didnt. I liked the sound of the APN better, just something positive to mention about it.

That is true, I forgot how much of a pain the bottom bolts were to access with the APN manifold. And I too noticed a slightly different tone in my exhaust.

I ordered a replacement manifold for my 4 banger tj from the same seller, shipped very fast! Identical to the Dorman. If anything, made in the same factory in china.

I bought a fel pro gasket, and is IDENTICAL to the one shipped with the manifold. same thickness :dunno:

Not sure what gasket this company is sending with their manifolds, but the one that came with my Dorman from O'rilley's didn't appear to be near as good in quality as the Felpro one I bought.

I have the same problem on a 96 intake.

It looks like I have to shave just the rigid ribs on the intake runner #1 and #6, not the runners themselves.

Thank you,
Andrey

Correct. Luckily it's next to nothing that has to be shaved off (just enough that it needs to be done and barely enough to make it worth while). Just be careful as the Intake isn't very thick...

Same one I put on my 97 XJ about 3 years ago no issues yet, and a fairly easy install. check out your head gasket before you tear into it I did not realize my head gasket was leaking until I removed the manifold and I had to run out and by a head gasket and install it before I reinstalled the new manifold. It is just easier to do it all at once.

Back