• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running hot

johnnyfitz14

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

My jeep when its at idle sits 200ish
When i'm cruising around highway or city and theres small or no hills it stays at200ish but once i have to go up a hill it creeps over 210 to like 225 then comes back down after driving on flat ground again...
I'm running 4.88s with a manual and 33s, is this normal?

Thanks
John

On both my 1994 and my 1996 XJ's, the auxallary fan come on at a red hot 230* and off about 215* :wow:

The fan always work when the AC is on.

No.

Your electric fan should come on at 212* and stay on until the temp comes back down (I forget at what temp it shuts off)...

If you suspect you may have a problem with the E-fan here's a good page to help you diagnose it:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Cooling/Electric_Fan_Diagnosis.htm

It shuts off at 195*...
as for the poster that stated yours comes on at 230 and off at 215 the stock temp guage is not real accurate if its cycling right and it sounds like it is just run more water (distilled) and less antifreeze and water wetter will help..

themud

It shuts off at 195*...
as for the poster that stated yours comes on at 230 and off at 215 the stock temp guage is not real accurate if its cycling right and it sounds like it is just run more water (distilled) and less antifreeze and water wetter will help..

themud

Actually, I knew the temperature it operates at because I did not like how hot the 4.0 got before it came on. I bought a manual guage and plumbed it into the thermostat housing. That gave the actual number since there was actual numbers on the dial/guage face. Later, I compeared it in a pot of water on the stove with two other temperature guages. They all read within 3 degrees of each other. None of them were actually calibrated guages,... none the less the results were good enough for me. I did not like at all how late the fan came on especially in rush hour trafic and Miami summers. Two weeks later I went to electrical fans with an independant temperature switch. Now the fans come on at 215 degrees and cool down the 4.0L 10 degrees before shutting off.

The temperature switch of choice is the Renix era fan switch inserted in the cool side of the radiator. The switch closes at 185 degrees and opens at 170 degrees. The hot side which is the thermostat housing goes from 215* when the fans come on to 205* when the fans go off.

good for ya then you did your homework on the real temps I did mine as well and found there to be differences between the stock temp guage and an IR gun... The stock guages can be unreliable at best each should verify the numbers for themselves...

themud

Actually, I knew the temperature it operates at because I did not like how hot the 4.0 got before it came on. I bought a manual guage and plumbed it into the thermostat housing. That gave the actual number since there was actual numbers on the dial/guage face. Later, I compeared it in a pot of water on the stove with two other temperature guages. They all read within 3 degrees of each other. None of them were actually calibrated guages,... none the less the results were good enough for me. I did not like at all how late the fan came on especially in rush hour trafic and Miami summers. Two weeks later I went to electrical fans with an independant temperature switch. Now the fans come on at 215 degrees and cool down the 4.0L 10 degrees before shutting off.

The temperature switch of choice is the Renix era fan switch inserted in the cool side of the radiator. The switch closes at 185 degrees and opens at 170 degrees. The hot side which is the thermostat housing goes from 215* when the fans come on to 205* when the fans go off.

I removed my fan clutch and hooked up two independently wired electric fans that stay on all the time with in cab switches to shut them off for deep water crossings. I also got rid of the old renix coolant bottle and put in a later model radiator that i got for $40 at a junk yard. So total costs about $120 for radiator, 2 fans, switches and relays and I no longer have ANY over heating problems plus the engine isnt turning the mechanical fan.

Back