• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front driveshaft to output bolts?

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Where can you buy the little bolts that hold the front driveshaft to the transfer case yoke? I bought new straps and bolts for the pinion end today but NAPA said they did not have the bolts for the other end. The bolts have tall, 8mm heads on a ~2" long bolt.

Ive used regular Gr8 bolts with split washer there no problem, I always seem to loose the stock ones :doh: IIRC they're either 1/4" or 5/16" NC by like 1.5" length.

The stock bolts have an unusually small head given the shank size. Plus, they are rather soft in my experience and are prone to rounding off. You won't find anything like them at a hardware store or auto store, but like foxwar says, regular grade 8 bolts will work. They will have a larger head (1/2"), but you can still get a wrench on them just fine. Get flange head bolts or use washers, and use some blue loctite.

I bought a set of bolts and while I am able to install them in the rear yoke (SYE), I could not get a socket or gearwrench over the heads on the front.

Looked around the internet and there are a couple of places that sell something similar to this. The closest match is a Bronco site that sells a grade-8 12-point version of our bolt. McMaster also sells the 12-point bolts but they are not listed as grade-8. I don't want 12-point though.

Checked the parts catalog and called the dealer, the original bolts are still available (was 6034-966, now 6036-415AA) for approx $1 each. So I bought eight of those and will have them next week.

Back