• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ smoking at back of engine

MancheMike

NAXJA Forum User
Hello... just picked up a wrecked 01 xj that I'm rebuilding. It wasn't bad, but needed a hood, fender, inner fender, header pannel.

Anyways, got it fired up for the first time earlier today, and there's smoke coming from the back of the engine. Not too bad, and not too much of it. Starts slowly after a minute or two, and appears to get worse at higher RPM. Its not a dark smoke, and smells more like elecrical burning, but there is no electrical where its at, and there are no electrical issues to speak of.

The problem is, you can't see the source. It appears to be coming from under the intake manifold somewhere around cyl #6...

My fear is that being an 01 it will have the 0331 head. No signs of oil in coolant, or vise-versa. Going to compression test later this week when I swap plugs/wires just to be sure.

Any other ideas what this could be, or where it may be coming from?

DSC02637.jpg

DSC02627.jpg

How about a leaking valve cover gasket?

This does not sound like a cracked head; smoke is not a symptom. Electrical burning has its own acrid smell, much different than fluids.

BTW, even though it is a pretty good snapshot in time of the engine condition, a compression test is not a good test to determine if you have a cracked 0331 head. It's a good test for a blown head gasket, but not a cracked 0331. A cylinder leakdown test is much better and more comprehensive.

If you have a leaky valve cover gasket, when you pull the cover to replace it, be sure to scrutinize the area between cylinders 3-4, which is where the defect is and is where if it is cracked, that will be the spot.

But I think your problem is something else here.......

Back