• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch wiring...

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
So, I finally got around to making some new cables for my winch (thanks DrRandy!), and I'm having an issue...or two. I replaced the cables going from the solenoid to the winch. The cables from solenoid to the battery are original (have no idea how old, came with the jeep, and this winch has not been used since I got it 2 yrs ago because I didn't like how the cables looked from the solenoid, around a bumper plate, to the winch- no resolved). So, hooked up the new cables to the solenoid, no issue. Old cable to the battery...hmm. Had to replace the original POSITIVE battery terminal with an auto parts store part because I couldn't get the original one off.
2011-05-01100300.jpg

2011-05-01100342.jpg

2011-05-01100400.jpg

So, I've got power to the hand control. And I figure I'll spool it out a ways, make sure it's all working, make sure I won't burn my jeep to the ground, and the cable isn't looking very neat on the spool. It works, fairly. It'll spool out, and I'm doing short bursts, then seem to get stuck. I hit the IN and it works, then back to OUT and that works again. I didn't think anything of it.
Well, I've spooled a bunch out, down to the pretty wraps, and would like to spool it back in. Now, all I'm getting is clicking in the solenoid....clicks with both IN and OUT. No winch motion....This would be my first, personal experience with a winch. Any thoughts?:viking:

It's working again. Dunno why, or what happened....I'm thinking maybe I want to replace the cables from the solenoid to the battery with some of that monster welding cable I got from DrRandy.....:D

AND I think it's time to upgrade my factory wiring....who was that that sells it all pre-made???

The solenoids in the smittybilt winches are rather crappy. I've had 2 go out on me. Once I needed to clean the brushes in the motor itself. They aren't sealed very well.

The solenoids in the smittybilt winches are rather crappy. I've had 2 go out on me. Once I needed to clean the brushes in the motor itself. They aren't sealed very well.

That's a bummer, since this one hasn't moved for a couple years...and will likely be a PITA to remove from the truck. So any recs for a replacement solenoid?? That will work without complaint?:viking:

Not right off. They wanted over 150 bucks for just a solenoid so I have a brand new winch in the box... missing the solenoid. Lol. It made more sense to buy the whole thing. Now I have a spare. :) I also got the optional warranty thru 4wp.

Wow I think my Warn ones were $20 or $40 each. Of course there are 4 of them. Was that $150 the whole selanoid pack? I get the same thing when my selanoid pack get hot. It is under the hood. I'm hoping the hood vent I have planned will help stop this.

Was that $150 the whole selanoid pack?

PACK?? There is ONE solenoid in the big black box... hmmm...
and I'm not sure about the hot part...all I did was spool out some line...in my driveway....

Ghost: are the warn ones special? I was under the impression they were just regular old starter solenoids

Yea 4 of them in mine.

Would it not be possible to change the solenoid box out for a warn type? Readily available replacement parts are never a bad thing....

Would it not be possible to change the solenoid box out for a warn type? Readily available replacement parts are never a bad thing....

That's what I was thinking....I may need some help wiring it....:D

2 fat cables going from solenoid to the winch.

You will need an older warn controler then. The new ones use 3 wires. Two hot one ground I do believe.

Back