• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing question?

jeeposexual

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have 99 xj with a 5.5 IRO lift and I plan on running 33's. This is my DD and I know I should regear. I have a d30 and c8.25. I heard 4.56 but I'm not sure. Plus what are all the parts I will need?

Ps I drive alot!!

D30:
- gears
- 3.73 and up carrier
- master install kit

8.25:
- gears
- master install kit

the carrier break on the 8.25 is far below what was available in the chorokee, so you do not need a new carrier. also, if you are installing a locker, now would be the time to do it.

4.88s /thread

But really I ordered my gears and install kits for my 30 and 8.25 from rwkhausssupply. Hes a member on here and I got the yukon gear package with everything. Great gears and a good guy to deal with, i love the 4.88s and their dead silent on the road.

Word of advice- Use high quality gears in the 8.25, mine has some cheap ones, and it's super whiny. Very loud, but the pattern is fine.

What he said ^ ... I went with Yukon gears front and rear. Well to be more exact I ordered a gear package and recieved yukon 4.88s for the 8.25 and for the dana 30 i recieved USA gear which is a branch of yukon. My gears are DEAD silent and the guys said the rear setup very easy. They said the side adjusters made setting up the axle easier then dana axles using shims everywhere.

The 8.25 uses shims and I believe a crush sleeve for the pinion and theres side adjusters to adjust the carrier specs. When I picked up the jeep the guy that did it said the rear setup perfect the first try, they set the pinion up and used the side adjusters til the pattern was perfect. Also 1 or 2 gear teeth need to be grinded on the ring gear for the cross shaft to get in. Make sure you replace the wheel bearings while its all apart too.

The front took a lot longer to get a good patern. Make sure that the shop you are going to either uses setup bearings or they have other bearings to replace the ones they use during the setup. After pressing the bearings on and off the pinion and carrier they dont sit as tight hence why some shops use setup bearings. You dont want loose bearings after dropping big coin on a regear, don't go to a shady shop for this. The weeks before I got my gears done I called every shop and personally went to them to feel them out to see if they knew what they were talkin about. I had every shop tell me what they were gona do and was convinced by the shop i went to get mine done, they spoke to me forever and always updated me on everything. sorry for the long post but I figured it might help you a bit, your gona LOVE the 4.88s man!!

Hi, I have 99 xj with a 5.5 IRO lift and I plan on running 33's. This is my DD and I know I should regear. I have a d30 and c8.25. I heard 4.56 but I'm not sure. Plus what are all the parts I will need?

Ps I drive alot!!

Will you ever go taller than a 33" tire?

If no,
With a manual tranny I'd go 4.10 gears
With an auto tranny I'd go 4.56 gears

If there is any chance you will go up to 35s,
With a manual tranny I'd go 4.56 gears
With an auto tranny I'd go 4.88 gears

I am looking to re-gear myself very soon. I am building drive line prior to lift... Currently on 30's. Planning to do Ford 8.8 with 4.56 (dana 30 to match), But I will be rolling on 30" tires until probably next summer. Not sure how that is going to play out? AX-15 trans...

Question on the above comment... Why couple the auto with lower gears? Just curious...

it has to do with the final gear on the auto vs manual tranny. even from the factory the auto came with 3.55s (typically) and the manual came with 3.07s.

what i highly recommend is searching for your specific trans gears and then using a calculator to cross reference that with tire and gear combos through different gears and different tire sizes. i found that for my needs, 4.10s were sufficient... so im dong the 8.8 swap. in the long run, is the 8.8 swap cheaper than regearing? not really... is it cheaper than regearing and adding disks, id say so.

The AW4 only has 4 gears so each gear is a little taller than the stick shifts'. Run deeper gears in the auto to compensate for the tranny gearing.

Back