• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JKS: WJ Tie rod and Drag link length needed!

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
I need the length measurement of the tubes used for the WJ high steer conversion. So if you have the tie rod and drag link from JKS please take a measurement and let me know! I tried to email them but received no response. Thanks!

cant measure because I do not have them. lol. Trying to make my own and need the exact measurement they use to save me some time.

Also, my current setup is bent to S*** so I can't get the accurate measurement I need.

Do you have the 24mm x 1.5 LH and RH taps? They run more than the cost of buying the JKS parts.

If you don't already have them, you won't be running those ends, and it wont matter. :)

Do you have the 24mm x 1.5 LH and RH taps? They run more than the cost of buying the JKS parts.

If you don't already have them, you won't be running those ends, and it wont matter. :)

No, I got a WJ tie rod and drag link for basically free so Im going to cut however much I need out of the middle, weld it, sleeve it and done.

thanks ridge! thats without the TRE's ya? just tubes?

Last edited:
According to the NAPA website, stock WJ dimensions are 39" for the drag link and 55" for the tie rod. Our axles are 3" narrower so...

I' thinking that 37" for the drag and 52" for the tie? I'm picking up some WJ parts today so will be looking carefully into this.

BTW, a 24-1.5mm LH tap can be had on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/CLEVELAND-OPTI-METRIC-M24-X-1-5-LH-FORMING-BOTTOM-TAP-/320638220997?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D130497777563%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8658554079626194030

for $16.00 including shipping. Think I'm going to snag one, as of now, 23 are available...

According to the NAPA website, stock WJ dimensions are 39" for the drag link and 55" for the tie rod. Our axles are 3" narrower so...

I just measured mine again and it sitting next to a stock WJ so I measured it too. With TRE measurements are from center to center on the joints and are approximate. The WJ is a 2wd (dont ask) but I think the linkage is the same.

Mine:
Drag Link with TRE's ~34.5"
Tie Rod with TRE's ~ 52.5"

Stock WJ:
Drag Link Tube ~25.75" With TRE's ~40"
Tie Rod Tube ~41" With TRE's ~56.25"

I' thinking that 37" for the drag and 52" for the tie? I'm picking up some WJ parts today so will be looking carefully into this.

You'll want to follow ridgerunners measurements since the WJ TRE's are much much longer than stock XJ ones which means the tubes will be even smaller.

Thanks Ridge! I'm also doing my flange spacers on a CNC at my dads shop so Ill be saving some dough on that also. Ill save the design so hopefully I can make more for you guys

Well... picked up a good start for my conversion (knuckles, calipers and a pair of drag links/tie rods) at the Colorado Chapter M&G yesterday. My LH M24x1.5 tap will ship Monday. Let the fun begin. From looking at the rigs at the M&G, everyone has installed 1-ton Chevy TREs and went OTK for the steering. Most also stated that finding the TREs at a small parts house can be a challenge. As I am only going 4.5", I'm going to do it with a stock setup and see how well it works.

ya im going to run a stock setup as well for now. Until I get the over axle trac bar bracket and TRE flip inserts. I'm more stoked on the upgraded brakes!

Well... picked up a good start for my conversion (knuckles, calipers and a pair of drag links/tie rods) at the Colorado Chapter M&G yesterday. My LH M24x1.5 tap will ship Monday. Let the fun begin. From looking at the rigs at the M&G, everyone has installed 1-ton Chevy TREs and went OTK for the steering. Most also stated that finding the TREs at a small parts house can be a challenge. As I am only going 4.5", I'm going to do it with a stock setup and see how well it works.

Which TRE was the challenge to find the Chevy or the WJ?

When I got mine Checker had to order the MOOG WJ TRE's for me. They had the Chevy Drag Link ends in stock when I build my 1 ton draglink.

The 1 ton stuff is the way to go for the drag link, the ends have more range of motion than the WJ ends have.

I like the WJ tie rod set-up because the bend in the TRE's allows more room for aftermarket diff covers.

the is for an XJ axle with WJ knuckles

Back