• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise from RC X-Flex Adj. Control Arms

Dewidge

NAXJA Forum User
I installed RC's X-Flex upper control arms recently (already had the lowers) and the passenger side is making a ton of noise when I hit small cracks and uneven surfaces. The driver side is pretty much silent.

Any thoughts on how to reduce the clatter from the passenger side?

If they are anything like the older adjustables the only thing to do is grease them 2 times a day. They get slack in the threads and clunk around. I usually grease mine when they start making noise or if I know I will be going off highway with it. On road use they usually stay quiet for a month or so. MAYBE this will help...

the description of your sound that you get and when you get it sounds similar to what I get from my stock upper control arms and I have made the determination that the bushings are bad. Even though your upper control arms have been replaced, the axle end bushing is pressed in the axle mount for the control arm and not the control arm itself like the frame end. Its just a possibility but you could have a bad bushing.

jack it up check for any play in the joints and even check the trackbar, RC has good customer service so if it turnsout that the joints are shot they'll probabley send you free joints if the arms aren't that old.

jack it up check for any play in the joints and even check the trackbar, RC has good customer service so if it turnsout that the joints are shot they'll probabley send you free joints if the arms aren't that old.

x2 If they are shot I would put money on RC sending out new ones no questions asked (provided you ordered directly from them.) I have called to order new joints for older products that they had no reason to warranty being 5+ years old and have yet to pay for a new joint even after trying to pay for them.

It is a Johnny joint on the x-flex arm. I think that's why they make some noise? metal on metal (joint on bolt). I have re-greased them sense install and no change in noise level.

I expected some noise sense they are metal on metal, but the driver side is virtually silent and the pass sounds like it's not tight and flopping around alot...

I wonder if the "sleeve" the bolt goes through is slightly larger on the pass side? I considered flip flopping arms to see if that changes anything.

More thoughts?

It is a Johnny joint on the x-flex arm. I think that's why they make some noise? metal on metal (joint on bolt). I have re-greased them sense install and no change in noise level.

I expected some noise sense they are metal on metal, but the driver side is virtually silent and the pass sounds like it's not tight and flopping around alot...

I wonder if the "sleeve" the bolt goes through is slightly larger on the pass side? I considered flip flopping arms to see if that changes anything.

More thoughts?

The joint that RC sells with their arms IS NOT a Currie Johnny Joint, it is however some junk chinese made flex joint that LOOKS like a Currie Johnny Joint. Do yourself a favor, replace them.

thanks hot rod, I'll look into upgrading the joint.

i have the RC x-flex joints on both uppers and lowers. i grease them every oil change. they do clunk if not greased but I don't think they are a bad joint. if you grease them regularly they should work with out noise and last. although when they eventually do go I will probably replace with them currie ends. but don't spend the money on new joints if you don't have to.

x2 If they are shot I would put money on RC sending out new ones no questions asked (provided you ordered directly from them.) I have called to order new joints for older products that they had no reason to warranty being 5+ years old and have yet to pay for a new joint even after trying to pay for them.

Was thinking about ordering 4.5" LA kit from Morris4x4 as they are offering free shipping as well as a 10% discount. I've heard of top notch customer service from Rough Country (especially Jason aka Grimus99xj) but not much about Morris4x4.
Or should i spend an extra $90 for shipping and order from Jason just to have a peace of mind?

Any comments?

Sorry for off-topic question :hang:

Was thinking about ordering 4.5" LA kit from Morris4x4 as they are offering free shipping as well as a 10% discount. I've heard of top notch customer service from Rough Country (especially Jason aka Grimus99xj) but not much about Morris4x4.
Or should i spend an extra $90 for shipping and order from Jason just to have a peace of mind?

Any comments?

Sorry for off-topic question :hang:

Its still an RC kit and most likely it will be drop-shipped from the manufacturer anyway!

Grimus, any thoughts on how to quiet down the passenger UCA?

Back