• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

flat top 44

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
looking to go flat top with my chevy knuckles. but keep the 5 on 5.5
ive searched but cant get a real good answer.

i talked to a guy i wheeled with and he said to use dodge stuff. knuckle out.
my question is, what year dodge? can i still use my outer shaft?

i seen on the ranger station to use ;
76-92 f150 hub, rotor, inner wheel bearing seal, spindles, wagoneer caliper brackets and calipers
my question is; my 77 hubs have 5 bolt circle, and the chevy has a 6 bolt circle. do i just redrill it?

Do you mean keep the 5 on 5.5, or 5 on 4.5?

5 on 5.5 is what the chevy knuckles are already known for.

5 on 4.5 is the stock bolt pattern for XJ's...

Which one are you referring to?

keep my 5 on 5.5. i already have the 44 under my jeep. i didnt read that far down "cal" i now see the 5 on 5.5

I am building a flat top 44 right now and have all my parts together

Waggy 44 housing
75 chev small bearing spindle
chev flat tops
ford rotor/hub (for the 5 x 5.5)

But if I understand you correctly, you currently have a Ford 44 on your rig and you want to put the chev flat tops on it?
I think you will need the small bearing spindle for the chev flat tops. That will allow you to put your current ford 44 hub/rotor on the flat top knuckle.

Waggy 44 housing
chev flat tops

But if I understand you correctly, you currently have a Ford 44 on your rig and you want to put the chev flat tops on it?
I think you will need the small bearing spindle for the chev flat tops. That will allow you to put your current ford 44 hub/rotor on the flat top knuckle.

This ^

Waggy 44 housing
chev flat tops

yes, thanks. i went thru the link that cal gave me, again. i didnt see near the bottom that there is pretty much a list. from that i can read your right.

Yeah, sorry about being short there. ;) I knew the info you needed was on that page, just didnt have time to be specific on it - busy day in the office. ;)

Ok, so to use chevy flat tops on a ford 44 axle...

6 bolt Chevy Flat tops (disc brake version)
6 bolt Chevy Caliper mount
6 bolt Chevy Small Bearing Spindle
Ford 5 on 5.5 hubs
Ford 5 on 5.5 rotors
Chevy Calipers

My only question would be the stub and whether I can use my ford stub shaft, or do I need to get a chevy one for sure? I am doing this conversion on a 77 f-150 dana 44 fullwidth.

Ok, so to use chevy flat tops on a ford 44 axle...

6 bolt Chevy Flat tops (disc brake version)
6 bolt Chevy Caliper mount
6 bolt Chevy Small Bearing Spindle
Ford 5 on 5.5 hubs
Ford 5 on 5.5 rotors
Chevy Calipers

My only question would be the stub and whether I can use my ford stub shaft, or do I need to get a chevy one for sure? I am doing this conversion on a 77 f-150 dana 44 fullwidth.

Your parts list is correct.

You can use the Chevy/Jeep axle stub shaft for certain. The ford one is a tad shorter but I don't know if it will work as it gets tight in there

from what ive read. the stub would need to be from the chevy. that way the length would be the same.

from what ive read. the stub would need to be from the chevy. that way the length would be the same.

The more I think about it I don't think the ford will work. I only have a 1/8" to put the C-clip on after the hub so the ford one would not work.

Last edited:
got all the parts to start/finish my flat tops at pullapart. (except calipers)
paid 100.17 got the whole shaft since the were going to charge me the same price.
so when i decide to quit being lazy i'll start on it with diff steering and hydro assist. pics will follow, maybe in the near to far future. lol

got all the parts to start/finish my flat tops at pullapart. (except calipers)
paid 100.17 got the whole shaft since the were going to charge me the same price.
so when i decide to quit being lazy i'll start on it with diff steering and hydro assist. pics will follow, maybe in the near to far future. lol

Get rebuilt calipers from the parts store and they are REALLY cheap with some new pads.

Back