• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

advice rebuilding Johnny Joint

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I have a JKS trac bar that I am fairly confident is in need of a Johnny Joint rebuild. It is the traditional Johnny Joint being held together with snap rings and not the style with adjustable retainer rings.

Is there anything I should know before getting into this or is it as simple as removing the snap rings, pulling it apart, replacing all necessary parts, and putting it back together?

Do you have the new bushings for it yet? If not it is pointless to bebuild as they will sloppy still if you just clean and put back. It is a pretty straight toward job to do. Take out old bushings and pillow ball and insert new one and replace snap ring.

You'll have to press the washers in, either with a press or some all-thread.

Is it loose? I've put a lot of miles on Currie joints (suspension and JKS trackbar) and none have even remotely gotten loose.

You can get the new bushings from Currie for around $8, but if it's just loose call Currie and get the thicker washer and replace yours with it.

Best advice is to get a good set of snap ring pliers, it will make it alot easier. Sometimes if the snap rings have been seated and a bit rusty and stuck, I have use a screwdriver that is ground to a point that i put in the snap ring hole and hit it a few times to get it started unseating a bit.

A ball joint/u-joint press makes it alot easier as well, or a really big ass vice and getting creative with sockets etc... I dont know the details of that particular track bar though.

Back