• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another WJ brake question....

dasbulliwagen

NAXJA Forum User
I have a complete WJ Dana 30 sitting here, and was wondering if I was to cut the inner "C" off of it and re mount it to my MJ Dana 30 what issues I would have if any. I know the bolt pattern would need to be changed, but what issues might I have doing this other than making sure to get it in proper position to have correct caster, and correct positioning for the length of the axle? This would make it so the spacer is not needed I assume, as the axle end is held by the spindle in the U joints proper center so as not to bind... correct? Its not that I cant buy the parts to just do it the other way, but Im thinking, as long as I have the parts to do it this way... why not? Let me know if my thinking is flawed or if this might be the thing to do?

If I did this I would GAIN WJ brakes. Im assumimg that the tube diameters are the same between the axles, and all I would be out is my time and the free use of a MIG welder. Yeah it would be easier to just unbolt and rebolt stuff together to get the desired effect, but if I did that, I would have to try to sneak the money for the spacers under my wifes tight control of our budget, that and I would need the new unit bearings, and ball joints....

I just thought of something.... Im wondering if my existing axles will work with the spindles and be in correct line, or if Ill need to change to something different like maybe ZJ CV style joints?? And if the actual stub will be long enough to fit the WJ unit bearing and bolt down properly. I have a set of ZJ CV axles sitting here too. I dont really off road much, so the strength is not an issue at this point. I would need to change the axle seals too to change to 1 peice shafts through the disco as well.... Im wondering now too if the WJ stub splines are the same size or bigger than the MJ's? Maybe I just need to buy the spacers!

Back