• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to use to replace headliner?

lyleorszulak807

NAXJA Forum User
Tried searching but couldnt find anything but people redoing their headliners. I want to use something other than stock...

I already herculined the floor and jeep didnt come with a headliner. Now thats its getting warmer its like a oven inside with nothing on top. I was thinking about getting some outdoor carpet and some adhesive spray to insulate it a bit. What do you guys think? Has any one ever done this? I also thought about using herculiner but not sure I want to go that route. I dont have any plastic trim either, all that is gutted.

Personally I would nab a headliner and whatever trim pieces you need from the junk yard. If you don't like the stock look cover the headliner with something new. If you decide to cover it spray adhesive will only hold lightweight fabrics. If you want to go the outdoor carpet rout I would use contact cement and use a small wood or rubber roller to press it together....this may seem common sense but I now I get caught up in projects and do it the hard way, make sure you cover the headliner when its on the ground cause it is a whore trying to do it upside down.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

I would recommend either a good headliner from another jeep or herculine it. I don't know how well any adhesive would stick to the metal roof....not sure which, if any, products would hold a heavy carpet up after heating up in the hot summer sun.

without the trim pieces nothing is going to keep a stock type headliner in. unless you want to put them back in your only option is going to be to glue something up (which will fail eventually due to heat) or herculine/rhinoline/etc. it. The main benefit to the stock headliner is insulation, the renix jeeps had a heavy carboard type backing but the later models got a fiberglass backed pad that really helps with heat.

I feel your pain, one of the last trips out one of my buddies put a laser thermometer on the inside roof of my XJ at noon, and it registered at 178° :D

when i did mine it was a pain in the ass to get anything to stick. i was just trying to redo the fabric on mine though. first i pulled out the entire headliner and pulled the old fabric off. then i shaved all the shit off of the backing pad. u know the junk that falls on ur head when u touch it. any way i couldnt get any of the spray glues to even come close to get the new fabric to stick to the pad so i went to lowes and got some flooring type glue that dries clear and used a little paint weenie roller to get the glue in the pad. still couldnt get it to stick. finally my wife comes out with a soft hand broom and her blow dryer and got that bitch to stick and had absolute no wrinkles. its been 2 years and it still is up there like i did it yesterday. oh and trust me rhino liner or whatever will melt your brain in the summer time. it seems to hold the heat in or something. best bet is to replace the stock one or do some kind of custom upholstery job on it.

It's not cheap, but how about DynaLiner or something along those lines?

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_dynaliner.html

that would help with heat if it was installed as they show on the website.
Are you thinking of attaching it to the backer in place of the cloth material?

Id like to get rid of my cloth as well and was thinking of using thin vinyl instead of cloth...... Some older model (80's) GM trucks headliners were of that same vinyl from the factory.

Weight is the issue with whatever material is going up there.......lighter the better.

the main problem is heat is going to degrade whatever adhesive you use to stick something directly to the roof skin. I know that dynamat sticks better the hotter it gets so that may be a viable option, but any sort of spray adhesive isn't going to last very long.

Back in the 70's there was a foamed product (sheet on large roll) used to do the inside ceilings for van conversions and RV's in one piece. It was about a half inch thick and the surface was textured. You simply trimmed it and put it up. It would follow the contours and provided both sound and heat insulation. The surface was sealed so you could wash it down. I have been looking for a supplier for it for years but can't seem to find it anymore.

Does anybody know what I am talking about, and better yet, does anybody know where to get it?

that would help with heat if it was installed as they show on the website.
Are you thinking of attaching it to the backer in place of the cloth material?

Id like to get rid of my cloth as well and was thinking of using thin vinyl instead of cloth...... Some older model (80's) GM trucks headliners were of that same vinyl from the factory.

Weight is the issue with whatever material is going up there.......lighter the better.

I was thinking it could be applied directly to the underside of the roof. That would get you the most benefit in terms of sound deadening and you wouldn't have to worry about droopy fabric. If you don't like the look of the exposed surface of it, I figure you could just apply some material in the same manner that you would re-cover a headliner. Don't know how well it would hold up as I've never done it myself, just throwing an option out there.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I do not plan on putting the interior molding back or the stock headliner. Waiting for bender to start fabricating cage and tying into the body (A,B,C,D pillars etc..) like the jeepspeed rigs. But I also want to DD it so I am looking for something rather than nothing. I like the dynamat idea but too expensive, thought about herculiner but would be difficult to roll on upside down and not sure on how well it will insulate. I put two gallons (4 coats) on the floor and it still gets warm. Maybe Ill just leave it until I cant stand the heat or roll down the windows and drive faster! :)

418849_10150552045717957_556537956_8994632_1579955271_n.jpg

ME ME ME!!!

Back