• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pan bolt pattern

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Noob question, doing my RMS and not sure which bolts go where for when I put the pan back up.

I had them lined up in the gasket but my pregnant wife knocked :)rof:) it over so now i'm not sure where they went... any help is appreciated thanks!

btw, 93 Cherokee if that makes a difference

The 5/16"-18 (1/2" wrench) screws go in the holes to either side of the rear main cap and one at each front corner.

The 1/4"-20 (7/16" wrench) screws go everywhere else. There are a couple of "stud-topped" screws used to support things like transmission cooler lines - they're not strictly necessary to replace, but a bit of trial-and-error will locate them for you (I always have the screws in a Baggie or a small bowl when I take the sump down - so I usually have to figure it out each time anyhow. Doesn't take too long to sort.)

Ok cool. I kinda figured as much, but for some reason some of the heads on the other bolts were a different size.

The gasket on this thing was a pita and had sealer EVERYWHERE. The shop that rebuilt the motor for the previous owner used that crap like it was going out of style

The back part of the gasket that goes under the RMS is kinda loose... do I need to jam it in the little lip there?

Last edited:
Back