• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 xj carpet asbestos pad?

amcjeep

NAXJA Forum User
hi all, i am a little freaked out. i pulled the carpet in my 86 yesterday to asses the floors. when i was pulling them up, i noticed a yellow pad where the muffler is in the rear passenger area. i wasn't really paying attention and ripped it apart and a TON of those fibers were floating around and i got a couple of deep breaths of it. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THAT PAD IS MADE OF? :(

definitely not asbestos, asbestos was banned in the USA as of the late 70s. I believe it's regular jute or something similar.

i am not talking about the grey fiber backing/padding, there was a seperate glued on pad, encased in plastic. it tore open and although it looks/feels kinda like fiberglass, the particles are very fine, and look like glitter.

and yeah, asbestos was SUPPOSED TO BE BANNED. but as a GM dealer tech, i do know that brake and clutch linings had a small percentage of that crap up until at least the early 90's. a raybestos rep told me directly.

here is the epa's rule:

In 1989 the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued the Asbestos Ban and Phase Out Rule which was subsequently overturned in the case of Corrosion Proof Fittings v. EPA, 947 F.2d 1201 (5th Cir. 1991). This ruling leaves many consumer products that can still legally contain trace amounts of asbestos. For a clarification of products which legally contain asbestos, read the EPA's clarification statement.:tear:

Regardless of what it really is what it isn't is asbestos. Stop freaking out over nothing. Alot of us have pulled our carpets and EVERY THING from under it to hurculine or rhinoline and we are still doing fine. Bottom line is you will live so keep doing what you were doing and put any of that freaking out crap away .....

You're talking about the XJ DIAPER.. it's as dangerous as a water soaked foam pad can get....

I really hope this thread is an april fools joke.

My bet, crummy compressed fiberglass with mica and metallic powder plus some binders.

Ps, they have found recently that fiberglass can cause cancer too, just nowhere near as potent as asbestos. Almost every form of silica is really bad if it gets in your lungs in some finely divided form.

Not at all likely it is asbestos. Yellow color indicates fiberglass.

Last time I checked asbestos was still widely used. What was outlawed was the friable dry versions used in boiler installations for insulation, and uses like brake pads (May not have been banned, just replaced due to legal liabilities?). It is not that dangerous when wet, only when dry and friable. The polymers in vinyl make it relatively safe. The hazard with floors is when some idea dry sands the stuff!

Last time I checked it was still used in floor linoleum, vinyl tile.

http://www.natural-environment.com/blog/tag/current-use-of-asbestos/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos

Depending on where you live, you probably have been exposed to huge amounts of asbestos in the daily shower, from decomposing, old water pipes made of an asbestos cement ages ago.

that dust will likely kill you because of all the Radiation on it from japan..;)

Actually the free radicals from car exhaust on the road are more likely to take us all out!:roflmao:

And tin hats are useless for that!!!!

Last edited:
Been there before... no worries :laugh2:

I scared the crap out of myself digging old moldy rock wool insulation out of the attic of my house. Halfway through, looked at it and said "oh my god, I hope this isn't asbestos" then spent 2 weeks freaking out and alternately thinking it had to be, and couldn't be. Finally settled it when I found part of a rock wool bag in the attic.

When you're running scared, it seems a lot more serious than it really is.

Back