• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil over spring rate

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
87 Xj F350 axles 14" 2.0 sway away coil overs

I talked to Polly performance today about my rear coil overs and they recommended some really soft springs

14" 150 over 14" 200

I know angle/locations of the shocks has alot to do with it but this is the lowest I've seen posted for an XJ (not that there's many posted)
Any advice?
If my shocks were angled further in my spring rate should be higher right?

I still have my body, well some of it.

Would it be a safe bet to do 175 over 225? Is yours too soft?

Mine feels just about right. I can dial in preload to raise the back when I go camping and it still feels good with the extra weight.
Remember, you can adjust the crossover ring so that the dual rate slider hits earlier thus hitting the 200lb spring sooner in the travel. I have mine adjusted so that it never hits the crossover though.
Sorry I can't recommend actual spring rates.

Well playing with bella vista's calculator I got 143/214
So I guess 150/200 should be right.

Jesus Christ. There's a reason why mine is named the Flying Pig. :laugh:

300/350 at all 4 corners on mine and I'm quite happy with that...I just added some more compression valving at the rear because it was bottoming a little too easily with the spare on the back, plus I re-installed the rear swaybar, and I run the dual-rate stops to engage about halfway through travel. I was out testing this weekend and have no plans to change anything for this season.

What kinda up/downtravel are you going for?

On my rear 14" SAWs I'm running a tender and 12” 150lb/in over a 14” 250lb/in, which gives me an initial frequency 1.332Hz of and a final of 2.176Hz.
I love it crawling, but at higher speeds it is a little harsh and could probably go with a little softer of a rate and/or a faster rebound valving. For the amount of time I see the higher speed stuff its seems fine. I do want to play with it a bit and maybe try a set of 225lb lower springs and that rebound change but it is/was a good starting point. Plus it is hard to tune without someone else helping/watching (ones of these times I've got to snag you for a few hours Chris).

Thanks for your input guys. I ended up ordering 175/200 I talked to Mike with Poly performance and he seemed confident that is what I need.
Being that they have quotes from the movie airplane instead of hold music, I value their opinion. :)

Back