• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke it, So now I need to fix it.

rrpilot

NAXJA Forum User
2001 4.0l While trying to remove thr rocker arm cover to replace the gasket I snapped the ccv elbow where it enters the cover. Any help out there from someone with previous experience? Parts store says there is no part but none off my regular Cherokee owners where there. What am I looking for if it is available and how do I avoid snapping the one coming out the back end of the cover? Thanks

Front or rear?

Front = OEM part number 5303 0991
Rear = OEM part number 5303 0495

Might find them at teamcherokee.com, might be stealership time, I would hit the junkyard. The trick is to twist them back and forth while applying sideways pressure, eventually they will pop out.

i had to replace that part on my brothers 96 cherokee...they can order that part at autozone if you bring it in. it is 4.99 and while you have it out replace the rubber grommet as well surprisingly that is more at $8.99...

as for getting it out..i ended up breaking the plastic trim over it and carefully put a flat head screw driver in between the rubber grommet and the plastic "pcv". it came out a lot easier when I did that.

didja find it, and was is what you were looking for?

If you get in a bind, I'm headed to Pick-n-Pull in the A.M. and can check for that elbow when I'm there. I've never had a late model, but as long as I know it's the front elbow, I think I can figure out what to look for:rof:

Front or rear?

Front = OEM part number 5303 0991
Rear = OEM part number 5303 0495

Might find them at teamcherokee.com, might be stealership time, I would hit the junkyard. The trick is to twist them back and forth while applying sideways pressure, eventually they will pop out.

I think CRB 29574 is NAPA's part number for the front elbow (which should just be an elbow- the rear elbow has the orifice, and a corresponding Dorman replacement); if you have to order it from a Jeep specialty shop (TeamCherokee, Qtec, Jeeperz-creepers, Acme, etc), the shipping will probably be more than the elbow.

I was at autozone today and in there small block dress up aisle they had Crome elbows with threads on one end and hose ribs on the other. Just so everyone knows. Looked like a fix for that problem.

The back one has an orifice to restrict the air being pulled into the manifold, so you can't use just any elbow there. The front one is open. Autozone/NAPA/Advance should have both of them.

I think the rear one is Dorman # 47057, the front is Dorman # 47079, and the grommet is Dorman # 42344.

Last edited:
Back