• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idler Pulley alignment after PS Pump Replacement

soccerdude

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend the power steering pump went out on my 98 XJ. The engine had started to make a a grinding noise so I knew a bearing was getting ready to fail. The noise was coming from the area near the power steering pump and idler pulley, so I started by removing the idler pulley. It was fine and when I tried to turn the power steering pulley it was not turning easily at all, so I replaced it.

After I get it all back together everything lines up except the idler pulley. It sticks out about and 1/8 inch further that it did before. I installed the bearing sleeve on the outside and the bushing behind the pulley. That is the correct sequence, right? It runs fine, but I am concerned about the belt running a little further back on the idler pulley. Any thoughts, does it sound like the pulley is installed correctly?

Thanks!

When you buy a new pulley they give you a little brass piece. I always throw it away and use the original cap/bushing.

Hose_Interference.sized.jpg

Ignore the belt routing, but you can clearly see the hat/bushing piece on the front of the idler. That piece goes down inside and the pulley bearing spins on it. I don't remember anything in the rear

When you buy a new pulley they give you a little brass piece. I always throw it away and use the original cap/bushing.

Hose_Interference.sized.jpg

Ignore the belt routing, but you can clearly see the hat/bushing piece on the front of the idler. That piece goes down inside and the pulley bearing spins on it. I don't remember anything in the rear

I could be wrong but I think he's talking about the pulley on the PS?

Thank you again ehall. That is exactly how it looks as currently installed (ignoring the belt routing, as mine is on the other side of the engine under the PS). I am just wonderig about the the aluminum washer behind the pulley. Maybe I got that part wrong.

i've got the same grinding and squeeking going on in that area.
do you know if there is a kit to change bearings in power steering pump instead of buying the whole assembly?

i've got the same grinding and squeeking going on in that area.
do you know if there is a kit to change bearings in power steering pump instead of buying the whole assembly?

I changed the bearing on my 89 xj p/s pump. It uses the same bearing as the idler pulley.

The only thing you remove IIRC is the snapring behind pulley(after pulley removal).

Then I think the pump shaft slides out with bearing on the back of it.

Just tap old bearing off and new one on.

Back