• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Used XJ Search Continues...

FitchVA

NAXJA Forum User
well, as you may or may not remember, i've been looking for a used xj for a while now. yesterday morning a fella has made me an offer on my current truck for just $250 less that what i was asking. so as soon as i can get to the bank to get him the paper work, it's his. so i was in a mad scramble to find something yesterday.

i was suprised how many xj's i've been not finding that are out here in my area. here are the 4 that i'm considering...(turns out they were all on autotrader.com)

1996 Jeep Cherokee #1

1996 Jeep Cherokee #2

1998 Jeep Cherokee #3

1999 Jeep Cherokee #4

that '98 was the only one that i didn't get a chance to look at yesterday. i'm gonna try to look at it monday after work cause it's got the same miles as the older ones, it's cheaper. the rest of them all look in great shape. and after talking to the dealers, i'm sure they'd take some a good chunk off the $ because i'm gonna give them cash. they like cash ;)

so what do you guys think? i know it's hard to tell from just a pic, but i just like feedback. i guess i'm just wondering...should i save a 1 or 2 housand $$ but give up 20k miles? or pay a little more to get 20k less miles?

oh, and does anyone have any pics of a lifted light blue xj like the 98 and 99's i'm looking at? thanks in advance

thanks again, and i'll be joining up soon!

Last edited:
If you want to lift, I think the wisdom is to make sure that the rear diff is the corporate 8.25 rather than the dana 35. I think it was mentioned that the 8.25 was beefed up after '96.

The 98 looks tempting, IF it doesn't have some hidden damage or hidden "issues". I'd say, if your going to wheel it, and you are, =) Take the higher miles and save the money for goodies. The motor is hopefully solid, as many 4.0's are, and will last forever with proper maintenance. The newer body styles look much better lifted period, take the body style over the mileage as well... always a better resale value. Also, you can sell the stock wheels for a good bit of cash to finance a new wheel/tire package....or keep the wheels which look pretty cool.
Also - take your time looking though it....find the things that the dealer / seller doesn't want you to find. Don't buy it just to get it off the lot and find that it has a crack in the t-case!!!

thanks for the feedback so far. i went and looked at that '98 i hadn't had a chance to look at. but it being sunday, nobody was there to let me fire it up and look through it. and to top it all off, it was parked on some really soggy gras. so i wasn't able to lay under it. it did have factory gas skid. that's a plus. but it looks like it wasn't well taken care of. the seats look like they've got rings of filth on them. that kinds scares me 'cause it might indicate how well the mechanicals were taken care of. but i'll still ride back up there durring the week to drive it and really get elbow deep in it. but it is a lot cheaper than the others ;)..but maybe for a reason.

but i'm gonna rent a car for a week. saturday was a scouting day. now that i know where all of the potential rides are, i can go after work to realy look at them.

but thanks again for all of the input.

...and yes xj-armor...i AM gonna wheel it. heck, that's the reason why i'm getting rid of my current truck. right now i've got a 2002 dakota. i've taken her out twice now. but i'm too scared that i'm gonna break a $30,000 truck. plus, i want a solid front axle in any rig i'm gonna wheel. so that fact, and the size of the xj, make it perfect for wheeling around the national forests of va.

steve

BUT with the 98+ xjs even with just a 3 inch lift doesn't it require a SYE? I heard and read that pre 98s don't require one. Which would save you a little $$$. if it were me?? I would buy either one of the 96's. Leaning towards the first one....that mileage isn't bad for a 96. As a matter of fact there is a 98 with just at 60k on it for under $8k but i am just south of richmond. Solid truck. PLUS if you buy a pre 97/98 it is easier to find parts for since i believe just about everything fits for 88-97. BUT i could be wrong

is there any easy way to destinguish an 8.25" vs a dana 35? from the pictures i've been finding, they look an aweful lot alike. i mean, yeah, i can see some differences, but they are VERY subtle.

oh, and for the sye, i'm gonna get the 4.5" lift. wouldn't that require the sye anyway...no matter what year?

the 8.25" rear has a very obvious "flat" casting boss across the bottom.. thats the easiest way to tell them apart.. the later model 231 t/cases dont have the cone protecting the slip yoke.. just an exposed slip yoke with a silly "accordion" type dust boot.. the longer unsupported shaft is what makes for more vibes in newer XJ's.. hell its worth doing a hack n tap on a stock XJ IMHO.. good luck on the search..
mike

old88xj said:
BUT with the 98+ xjs even with just a 3 inch lift doesn't it require a SYE? I heard and read that pre 98s don't require one. Which would save you a little $$$. if it were me?? I would buy either one of the 96's.

There's no difference. 1996 was the year DaimlerChrysler changed the transfer case output design.

Yes, a 3" lift will require some kind of vibration elimination. A transfer case drop might be enough, but a SYE is the preferred solution.

If you find that the '98 doesn't have anything major wrong with it mechanically, I'd pick that one. The '98 Classic trim level has more goodies than the '99 or '96 Sports, and the nicer, newer, more modern interior than the '96 Country. I think the monochromatic paint scheme is more elegant looking, especially with the Echo rims. Considering they all have the same redesigned transfer case, there is no advantage to getting an earlier model. Enjoy!

Back