• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 1600 frame end joint

bdahlg

NAXJA Forum User
'91 XJ

I bought this trackbar at the end of September/beginning of October to center my axle properly as well as attempt to fix my DW.

After only six months, the joint on the frame end is clunking/moaning/creaking all the time. The "frame" is fine; no cracks or movement. I verified it was the joint (I think it's a Johnny or a heim joint??) with a long screwdriver to my ear.

Since RE is "pending" reorganization, what can I go with for a replacement? (thread size/pitch etc?) Does this tend to happen with these joints? Should I seek a better replacement instead of the same one?

If I recall correctly since I've had both, the 1600 setup is a single shear heim joint bolted to the stock bracket drilled out to 5/8". The 1660 setup is a rebuildable RE flex joint mounted in double shear to a big thick RE bracket.

The 1600 heim is not rebuildable and must be replaced if it goes bad. The flex joint can be taken apart, cleaned and reassembled. From what I've read, you need to tighten the thing down super tight. Mine recently had some play and I tightened it. Couldn't get the plastic races out to clean it out because they kept getting cocked sideways in the housing, so I just tightened the crap out of it and greased it up.

I've got the RE1600 too and unfortunately it is a non-greasable heim joint. If there's play in it, I'd suspect it is shot.

Based on what I've read, it's a 3/4" shank LH-thread heim joint with a 3/4" bore, with reducers/spacers that allow it to be used with a 5/8" bolt. You should be able to find a replacement without too much difficulty - just be sure to cut the heim's shank down to the appropriate length for your desired overall track bar length.

*EDIT*
Here you go:

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=328

Should be a good replacement. They sell misalignment bushings (reducers/spacers/whatever) if you want to replace them as well.

*EDIT #2*
Further confirmation of these specs:

http://rubiconexpress.com/JeepParts/Product.aspx?folder=JPFTB&part=QA1EXML12

Order the Ruff Stuff part and you should be all set.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies so quickly. It seems to me that i need to replace the joint since I can see a little movement with someone turning the wheel. It's getting progressively worse as the days go by; I originally thought it was my steering box shitting the bed.

Is this the expected lifetime of a heim joint or just a RE joint in general? That's pretty piss-poor if you ask me. Makes me think "no wonder they're having problems?"

i bought the same trackbar except the PO replaced the RE joint with an FK rod end and giant grade 8 bolt. it seems to be working well, except this new joint is still non-greasable, but its still more heavy duty than the RE unit. thats another option if you decide to replace yours

Replace the heim, then buy a double shear bracket to replace the stock piece. Should solve your issues.

Oh, and on second thought, the heim might still be good but the bolt holding it in could have wallowed out the hole in the bracket. Also a possibility.

I had one of these on my junk for a few years of seriusly hard wheeling.

Buy some silicon spray, hose it down whenever it gets muddy and it will last a lot longer. And you've got to tighten the snot out of the bolt holding it to the trackbar mount or it will clunk. Mine was tightened as tight as I could get it with a big breaker bar, or with my impact. It's a big assed grade 8 bolt, so I never worrried about breaking it.

I DD my XJ and it has visible movement in the joint. Wallowing of the bracket is definitely possible considering I did a fairly poor job of drilling it out. Im thinking in the near future a HD bracket is needed. I am going to tighten the piss out of it after I take it apart and grease it up as best as I can and see if that helps. It's quite noisy.

Due to being limited in fixing my heep as I would like, I just ordered a Hobart Handler 140 as my first welder and it should arrive by Friday. I'm quite excited to fux wit it and expand my abilities for this addicting hobby :) Can't wait

I've been running mine, which I bought used, for over six months in a DD. No play, no problems.
Replace the heim, go double shear if you have the $$ to spare on it. I don't, haven't, and have no issues.

Back