• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear spring main eye rot repair

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Just found the source of my "noise" when accelerating harder or sharp right turns. It appears the right rear leaf spring mount is rotted worse than i had thought.

Anyone done this repair? I'm not sure i have the capability.. seeing pics of how someone did so would help me out a ton.

Either i fix it or start looking for another Jeep or body donor.

I haven't had a leaf eye fail yet (but it's coming soon I'm sure, they are in iffy shape) but I boogered my shackle hangars back together with quarter inch plate, eighth inch angle, and a 110v flux core welder. It has withstood everything I have thrown at it.

http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/collections/frontpage/products/xj-shackle-relocation-kit

My rot is at the opposite end.. under the rear seat. Main eye location.

But i no longer think the noise is the mount itself.. i found the main eye bushing in spring is trashed after i dropped the rear axle.

RE used OEM bushings in the earlier days correct?

There are some relocation brackets for the front leaf spring mounts. Not from HD though. I will try to find a link.

Reviving this thread in hopes of help. My drivers side is either rotted out or stripped. I remember seeing pictures of someone repairing the nuts before but can't find them? I've searched, and this is all I've found so far. Anybody got links or tips on this job?

No write up or pictures of the steps, but this is abut halfway through the job...

front_eye.JPG
[/IMG]

Ok thanks this gives me a better idea of what I'm in for. I thought I'd seen pictures where someone had cut through the floor to access it. Might be mistaken though. Think my jeep may get renamed soon- to "project lost cause"

12 years ago on my old XJ I just cut a hole in the "frame" on the bottom side and used a regular nut.

Ok thanks this gives me a better idea of what I'm in for. I thought I'd seen pictures where someone had cut through the floor to access it. Might be mistaken though. Think my jeep may get renamed soon- to "project lost cause"
I helped a bud do that because we did not have the ability to hook up a welder at his house. We cut through at least three layers of sheet metal above the forward spring perch, all of it structural to the uni-body. I'll never do that shite again!

Back