• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tie rod flip (Goferit)

ArmyDad

NAXJA Forum User
Have assembled all the needed parts for the JY upgrade (ZJ tie rod and new TRE boots) and Goferit insert to do the tie rod flip at the same time.

The question is what is the best way to drill out the knuckle ... a little at a time or all at once?

Thanks!!
=====

Whatcha mean? Get a drill and a 3/4" bit and go to down. It took me maybe 5 minutes because the bit kept getting bound up. Make sure to use some oil to keep everything cool and keep the drill centered so the hole isn't all wallowed out. The insert should have a tight fit so it's tapped in with a hammer.

Have assembled all the needed parts for the JY upgrade (ZJ tie rod and new TRE boots) and Goferit insert to do the tie rod flip at the same time.

The question is what is the best way to drill out the knuckle ... a little at a time or all at once?

Thanks!!
=====

little at a time - the knuckle material is soft and a good bit or reamer will eat through it quick!

Whatcha mean? Get a drill and a 3/4" bit and go to down. It took me maybe 5 minutes because the bit kept getting bound up. Make sure to use some oil to keep everything cool and keep the drill centered so the hole isn't all wallowed out. The insert should have a tight fit so it's tapped in with a hammer.

right for a 3/4 through yes this - spray lube is good for cooling and cutting ^^^

My friend did his by mounting his knuckle up in a jig and drilling it on a bridgeport (HERE). I used his idea and made my own setup, it was before I was cool and had my own bridgeport. I made a simple jig outta wood and mounted it on my drill press. Work mint, didn't take long, perfect holes. Aside from rigging up something to keep the knuckle level and the hole straight, its no different then drilling thru metal like normally. Use proper speed, force, oil, common sense, etc.

2lm2jjk.jpg

Thanks!!
=====

I used a 3/4" Unibit (step drill bit) and it was like a knife through butter. Am about to post a complete writeup on this conversion.

My friend did his by mounting his knuckle up in a jig and drilling it on a bridgeport (HERE). I used his idea and made my own setup, it was before I was cool and had my own bridgeport. I made a simple jig outta wood and mounted it on my drill press. Work mint, didn't take long, perfect holes. Aside from rigging up something to keep the knuckle level and the hole straight, its no different then drilling thru metal like normally. Use proper speed, force, oil, common sense, etc.

2lm2jjk.jpg

I swear! All that work just to ream out one hole!

Just be advised that this conversion is not as cheap as buying some off the shelf systems, such as JCR, if you purchase these parts new. That RHD Cherokee drag link is not cheap. It is half the cost of a complete steering kit from several manufacturers.

The only advantage is it uses factory parts that are accessible from nearly any auto parts store and it eliminates the use of heim joints for those that do not want them.

Back