• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Rear wheel Cylinder Line

BostonIrish

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to replace the rear wheel cylinder...of course the steel brake line wont budge.Can I buy a new one or do I have to make up a line...Haven't worked on drum brakes for a while but I think I have a flaring tool somewhere...

You can get a stock precut piece that's a little longer than needed, and usually you can just loop or reroute the line to take up the slack. If you're a real stickler for sanitary line layouts, you can cut one end of a prefab line and reflare it. Remember that these lines require a double flare. A regular flaring tool won't do. It's relatively easy to do if you have a good tool and a nice new line in your hand, a real PITA to do under the car, but either way, I'd probably opt for an uncut line if I can get away with it.

Put some heat to it,that will usually free up the nut.Make sure your using a "flare-nut" wrench!

I second the flare nut wrench comment.

First time I did brake lines I tried using open ended wrenches and spent a lot of time cursing the stuck nuts and semi-rounded off a couple. I relented and picked up the flare nut wrenches and was amazed how easy it was. (even to remove the ones I had half rounded off.)

The old "Right tool for the right job" mantra is proven to be true every time.

Put some heat to it,that will usually free up the nut.Make sure your using a "flare-nut" wrench!

I second the flare nut wrench comment.

First time I did brake lines I tried using open ended wrenches and spent a lot of time cursing the stuck nuts and semi-rounded off a couple. I relented and picked up the flare nut wrenches and was amazed how easy it was. (even to remove the ones I had half rounded off.)

The old "Right tool for the right job" mantra is proven to be true every time.

Agree.

My FAVORITE brake tool is (currently) a Harbor Freight pen torch.

http://www.harborfreight.com/butane-pencil-torch-41169.html

Apply heat, remove heat, spray a little penetrating oil and let it be drawn in. Repeat as necessary.

And good line wrenches are necessary.

I had 2 cut the line..rusyed up solid.I bent up a new line and installed the wheel cylinder..took about a hour with my kids help...good 2 go now..Thanks

Back